Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,297   Posts: 1,535,734   Online: 824

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Thank you very much. If I run out of other options I might have to try to repair it, just as soon as throw it away. I can't very well sell it in it's broken state.
    Worst case, you could sell it as a parts body - accurately described as such. I would expect that you could certainly get at least $50 for it as such - which is better than tossing it in the trash.

Shooter
    35mm
    Short of tossing your F4 into the garbage, I'll offer you my Nikon N8008 for it (before you "part it out"). My N8008 works perfectly and also comes with the MF21 databack (in-place of the regular plain back).

If I were in your place, 'tho, I would look into having it fixed. Are you sure that the latch just isn't bent alittle, or something simple-to-fix like that?
    Dann Fassnacht
    Aberdeen, WA USA

glockman99@hotmail.com
    -------------------------------------
    My film cameras are all Nikons: F3HP, F4s, N90s, N8008, N8008s.

Shooter
    35mm
    I wish it were so. I can't find anything external that could be fiddled with. The viewfinder lights still come on and stay on if you press down hard on the prism, or with the prism off, if you press gently against the back with your thumb in a certain place. If there was some way to wedge something against it permanently there it would probably work flawlessly.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a wonderful repairman near me named Al who owns Cameraworks. His number is (518) 782-1503. He's done full overhauls for me for $80. You'd have to ship the camera to Latham, NY though and he's only open W-F.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you tried cleaning the contacts between the body and the prism? I bought a mint F4 and the second roll I put through it the prism started behaving very strangely. I got no meter readings on the lower LCD, but the exposure values (shutter speed etc) appeared on the upper LCD where the frame counter usually is. I took the prism off, cleaned the contacts on both with a cotton bud and alcohol, and after that it was fine. As a worst case scenario, you could always glue down the prism with a little epoxy. That would be enough to hold it, but a sharp knock would always get it off again if you wanted to, or if you found a spare.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I don't think you're screwed just yet. I have 4 F4s that are used often and regularly in our wedding biz. One of them had a very similar problem, intermitant finder display, otherwise functioned well. I diagnosed that it was the finder track being ever so slightly off, that made the finder contacts not quite sit true. What I did is unscrew one of the rails on the body a tiny bit, then re-position it so that it was a bit narrower, made the finder sit snugger and lock more securely. Problem solved. If that body gets used with a lot of on camera flash then after 10-15 weddings it starts doing it once in while.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think I fixed it. The key: New batteries.

The reason I didn't notice the problem when I bought is because it had the MB-21 high-voltage pack installed. When I got it home I instantly switched it to the MB-20 and the problem started. I had put known good rechargeable batteries in it. I suspected that maybe the rechargeabel batteries was causing the problem so I took the alkaline batteries out of my F801 (confirmed 'good' cause they were running my F801 after all) and the problem was the same.

I put the MB-21 back on it to sell it, and couldn't reproduce the problem.

It turns out one of the rechargeable cells I originally put in it had gone bad. And the batteries that were running my F801 just fine were still too low to run the F4. Apparently the F4 is quite a voltage hog, and my F801 will run with almost-dead batteries forever.

After putting new alkalines in, I can't reproduce the problem. I bought some Energizer lithiums and popped in there and it's been fine every since. I still don't know why the display would turn on when I pressed down on the viewfinder and poked around on the body. ESD perhaps.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think I fixed it. The key: New batteries.

The reason I didn't notice the problem when I bought is because it had the MB-21 high-voltage pack installed. When I got it home I instantly switched it to the MB-20 and the problem started. I had put known good rechargeable batteries in it. I suspected that maybe the rechargeabel batteries was causing the problem so I took the alkaline batteries out of my F801 (confirmed 'good' cause they were running my F801 after all) and the problem was the same.

I put the MB-21 back on it to sell it, and couldn't reproduce the problem.

It turns out one of the rechargeable cells I originally put in it had gone bad. And the batteries that were running my F801 just fine were still too low to run the F4. Apparently the F4 is quite a voltage hog, and my F801 will run with almost-dead batteries forever.

After putting new alkalines in, I can't reproduce the problem. I bought some Energizer lithiums and popped in there and it's been fine every since. I still don't know why the display would turn on when I pressed down on the viewfinder and poked around on the body. ESD perhaps.
    That is excellent that your F4s is back to good working order, and was a simple a fix as putting in new batteries!
    Dann Fassnacht
    Aberdeen, WA USA

glockman99@hotmail.com

Shooter
    35mm
    My friend and I think the reason the F4 wasn't sold in america without the MB-21 high-voltage pack is because it's a worse battery hog than Nikon anticipated. It definitely runs sluggishly with rechargeables compared to my other cameras; I guess i'll stick to regular batteries for this one. I have also heard about F4 's that got get sent to Nikon coming back with Lithium batteries in them.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    My friend and I think the reason the F4 wasn't sold in america without the MB-21 high-voltage pack is because it's a worse battery hog than Nikon anticipated. It definitely runs sluggishly with rechargeables compared to my other cameras; I guess i'll stick to regular batteries for this one. I have also heard about F4 's that got get sent to Nikon coming back with Lithium batteries in them.
    Yah, I also think that alot of folks with F4's forget to turn the camera off ("L"), and that causes a slow battery drain. I sure wish that the F4s had an "auto-off" feature, and a seperate on/off switch.

I'm going to have to invest in some of those Lithium batteries myself, as they are alittle lighter in weight than the regular AA batteries, and have a longer shelf life and longer run-time.
    Dann Fassnacht
    Aberdeen, WA USA

glockman99@hotmail.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin