Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,987   Online: 1062

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What does it say on the top of the camera ?

Does it say "MD" on the front left side of the body? If so, it is an OM1-MD. Otherwise, it is an OM1 (or the extremely rare M-1), and will only have the motor drive coupling on the base if it has been modified (and a fair number were modified).

As for the battery, a few years ago I purchased an adapter for about $30.00 that allows use of a G12 silver oxide cell instead. It works great, and can be transferred to other cameras.

I don't think it is an OM1n (wrong hotshoe adapter) but any of the alternatives (M1, OM1, OM1-MD or OM1n) are excellent cameras, depending on condition. Unless a CLA has been done recently, at the very least you will most likely have to replace the seals (common in almost all SLRs of this vintage). In particular, you have to be careful that the seals for the mirror haven't deteriorated badly, because the gunk can migrate into the pentaprism, and cause damage there.

If you have a local repair person you've used before, I would suggest asking them if they do CLAs on OM equipment, and what approximate costs are. If there is noone local, John Hermanson at www.zuiko.com (who posts here regularly) is the goto resource.

There are a lot of OM1s around, so if there are apparent problems (like a missing or corroded self-timer lever) you might want to pass on this unless the price is very favourable.

Matt

PS by the looks of it, I would guess that the lens may be newer than the body.

Shooter
    35mm
    The only thing a battery is used for in an OM1 is the light meter. All other functions are totally mechanical.

Many camera service facilities can modify an OM1 to use a 1.5V battery. Or you might be able to find a battery conversion kit - Gossen made one - that will work with the camera as long as they are replacements for a single 625. Zinc-air batteries work just fine but have a short life compared to a standard battery.

Most other cameras that used a 1.3V mercury battery can safely use a 1.5V battery without conversion. The meter will read about a stop high but otherwise no problem. The word is that you cannot do this with many Olympus bodies. I haven't tried it with any of my Oly cameras because I felt it was not worth the risk. I used a battery adapter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks all!!
    I'm waiting for a reply from the seller so I haven't been able to handle the camera yet.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm guessing that it's an OM-1n, because I don't think that the OM-1 versions has that little "MD" marking (but I could be wrong with that).

Unless the guy is selling this camera DIRT CHEAP, I wouldn't bother with it as it looks pretty rough, and the fact that the self-timer lever is missing shows that this camera has not been well taken care of. Also, I'm afraid that some of that caked-on dirt might have found its' way inside of the camera. You'd be MUCH better off looking for a better OM-1n at eBay or Craig's List.
    Dann Fassnacht
    Aberdeen, WA USA

glockman99@hotmail.com
    -------------------------------------
    My film cameras are all Nikons: F3HP, F4s, N90s, N8008, N8008s.

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman99 View Post
    I'm guessing that it's an OM-1n, because I don't think that the OM-1 versions has that little "MD" marking (but I could be wrong with that).
    I have an OM-1 with the MD marking, so it could very well be an OM-1 as well as an OM-1n.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E76 View Post
    I have an OM-1 with the MD marking, so it could very well be an OM-1 as well as an OM-1n.
    I think that your OM-1 has the MD marking on it because you live in MD...

I stand corrected...Dang, this old dog CAN learn new things..
    Dann Fassnacht
    Aberdeen, WA USA

glockman99@hotmail.com
    -------------------------------------
    My film cameras are all Nikons: F3HP, F4s, N90s, N8008, N8008s.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    early OM-1's have no motor drive ability, then they made some with MD capability with no MD badge, but had a MD sticker on front top, stickers after all this time can be missing, then later OM-1s had the MD badge on the front, lots of them produced

This one is clearly an OM-1 MD, you can see the 'square' (some are rectangular) MD badge on the front, it has the #1 shoe (Fix) on it which will NOT fit on the OM-1n (it screws on in the opposite direction) , incidentally the shoe appears to be in good condition (the camera is pretty average or below average condition, as mentioned above it is missing the self timer lever), the shoes often get fine cracks in them but they arnt noticeable in the picture. as well as a few things already mentioned above, ask if the light meter works as well, its just a bit odd that the meter switch is in the ON position, he possibly doesnt have batteries in it, or was just testing it while he took the picture but an OM user is most often in the habit of flicking the meter to OFF position if not in use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks again for all the information folks.
    Still no reply from the seller so I haven't had a chance to "handle" the camera.
    If/when I go to see it what would be the recommended items to take (besides $) ?I'm thinking :New 675 battery &O-Ring
    Blower,lens cleaner & microfiber cloth.
    Coin to open battery compartment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin