Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,540   Online: 1025

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What situation are you in where you need to shoot with a motor drive *and* do it quietly? You can very easily shoot 1 fps with any old manual SLR advanced by hand.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the Olympus MD2 motor drives on my Olympus OM-3Ti/4Ti bodies and find it to be rather quiet. "Back in the day" (late '80s, early '90s), the Olympus kit was considered the quietest pro-level outfit for wildlife work. It's so quick and smooth, it's essentially doing just a "snick" sound.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon F100 in Cs is very quiet. The Elan 7ne with the belt drive technology is even more so. Extremely quiet camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The quiet mode of the F4 and F5 (I've owned both) are pretty quiet.

It's subjective, of course, but quieter than the normal drive. You may be able to lock up the mirror too (if it's tripod mounted) during exposures to lessen the noise even more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The F5 sounds a bit like an F3 that has a weak MD-4 attached, when it's in Cs mode. The F4 is quieter, at least when you're using both bodies in S, Ch, and Cl modes.

-J
    APUG: F4, F2AS, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Few fast (5 fps or more) winders are quiet. My old Pentax MX with Motordrive MX shrieked less than my LX with Motordrive LX. (Nicer form factor, too--much like the OM1/2/3/4 series motordrives).

My F5 on CS mode in a blimp is very quiet indeed for a camera with a moving mirror and auto advance. Coreless motors probably have something to do with it.

Later Leica rangefinders also had options for winders, and of course have less mass to move around (no swinging mirror). Can't say about how quiet they are from experience, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All my motordrives are quiet, I just put in my earplugs!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Canon Elan for sure
    If only we could pull out our brains and use only our eyes. P. Picasso

http://www.timbowlesphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe that the Canon Elan is very quiet.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just fired the N90, F100, Elan, Robot, and Leningrad. The drives on the N90 and F100 are essentially silent, with the F100 having a slightly quieter shutter. The Elan has a slightly quieter shutter than the F100, but while the motor drive is very quiet, it can be heard. The Robot whined a bit, but that may be a function of being over 60. The Leningrad doesn't whine, but has a quite noticeable thunk at the end of the advance. I think you would be hard pressed to find something much quieter in use than an F100, unless you go to a leaf shuttered rangefinder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin