Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,388   Online: 1027

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't exactly consider them "toy" cameras, but I shoot Polaroid and 127 film all the time. I shoot a fair amount of 8mm and super8 movies too.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    When I saw the Minolta quoted as a toy, I thought I was on a d.....l forum and the CaNikon chest beating that is ohh so often sprouted there.

The only "Toy" camera that I own is a Kodak Brownie that I got for my 9th birthday in the early 80's. I would dearly love to give it a try again, but the lack of 110 film is preventing me from doing this

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    When I saw the Minolta quoted as a toy, I thought I was on a d.....l forum and the CaNikon chest beating that is ohh so often sprouted there.
    Funny, that's what I thought too...
    Mamiya 645 Super | Nikon F4/F100 | Minolta Maxxum 9/Dynax 7/X-700/X-500/XD7/SRT-101 | Pentax Spotmatic | Canonet QL 19 (GII) | and a whole bunch of glass

Shooter
    Multi Format

The polaroid 232SL Motorized. I use it all the time - it's cool in dark places for the following reasons:
    1. Small
    2. Motor drive
    3. No focusing neccicary
    4. 27mm lens
    5. Built in flash
    6. Uses AAA batteries

Generally, i use it in one hand with my thumb on the shutter release, then swing it into position (wide lens means you don't have to be terribly accurate with the framing) hit the shutter release, and throw it back in my pocket. All of that within about one second. It leaves everyone else in awe since their digital takes at least six seconds to go through it's focus and preflash shenanigans.

Recently, i've been trying to build a sort of ringflash adapter, although i'm not sure i'm willing to make it any bulkier.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I use them often--usually one of my Holgas, or my Diana. However, I have been recently getting some very interesting results out of the Golden Half half-format camera. It has 2 apertures (that actually have a difference between them, unlike the Holga!) and a fairly decent wide-angle lens. The cool things about it are (a) the thing is tiny, and (b) film has gotten so much better from the time of half-format's heyday that you can actually get pretty decent results with the GH nowadays.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm the definition of "toy" appears to be in some question here! Only two of my collection I would consider toys, the Brownie Target Six-20 and a Toyoco 16. I have used the Brownie once in recent years just to see what it could do. And besides a film issue, the Toyoco, in spite of only one shutter speed, apparently needs a CLA!

The OP mentioned the Argus brand; I have a C3, but I hardly consider that a toy. I've been using it once a year for Argus day the last few years. It's not terrible but not my first choice anymore for "serious" 35 mm work -- after all, I upgraded from it in 1963.

But then again, perhaps they are all toys!

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a agfa clack and a Evo box cmera. And I use them frequently because I love the old looks the pictures have. I had some other simelar cams as wel but didn;t use those so I sold them of. O yeah I bought a Polaroid 600 a while go and shot one pack of film. I want to use it again but 22 euro for 10 photo's is a bit much for my taste. But it is cool stuff.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello,

Over the past 25 years shooting for pleasure and as a profession, I have owned nearly every Nikon "pro" body and every Minolta "amatuer" body made. After owning everything from a Nikon F through Nikon F5 and everything in between in the Nikon world (whoops, never had an F2) I have thinned down to only the cameras I enjoy shooting with - a Minolta XE7 and others, a Nikon F3HP and an assortment of Leica M mounts.

I own others, but these are the cameras I find myself using. They consistently shoot well and the Minolta / Leica glass is superb for portraits (not getting into a flame war, just sharing my experience and preference).

If I had to thin down to only one SLR and one set of lenses, the "real" cameras - as the poster poses the question - would go in the for sale bin and I would keep the Rokkors. I'm at a point in life where I no longer care what anyone thinks about the camera around my neck - I want a great camera, good glass and wonderful pictures. For that, I find Leica and Minolta to be my first and second choices. Nikon is a distant third.
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have three Holgas, but after the first couple of months I hardly ever use them. I also have a Holga 5D that sees periodic use, but doesn't get out as often as it should. I have three folders that see limited use, and my dad's C3 that I've never used. My go-to cameras these days seem to be an assortment of Canon FD, EOS, and Nikon F4. I'm attempting to assemble a working Minolta MD kit to add to the users, including a couple of XD-11 and an XE-7.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Jeff View Post
    Hello,

Over the past 25 years shooting for pleasure and as a profession, I have owned nearly every Nikon "pro" body and every Minolta "amatuer" body made. After owning everything from a Nikon F through Nikon F5 and everything in between in the Nikon world (whoops, never had an F2) I have thinned down to only the cameras I enjoy shooting with - a Minolta XE7 and others, a Nikon F3HP and an assortment of Leica M mounts.

I own others, but these are the cameras I find myself using. They consistently shoot well and the Minolta / Leica glass is superb for portraits (not getting into a flame war, just sharing my experience and preference).

If I had to thin down to only one SLR and one set of lenses, the "real" cameras - as the poster poses the question - would go in the for sale bin and I would keep the Rokkors. I'm at a point in life where I no longer care what anyone thinks about the camera around my neck - I want a great camera, good glass and wonderful pictures. For that, I find Leica and Minolta to be my first and second choices. Nikon is a distant third.
    I can totally relate to this post. I use Nikons, film and D......l, and the system is the most capable one for my needs. But I have never loved them. On the other hand, when shooting film for pleasure, I have never had any cameras that I enjoyed using more than my Minoltas - SRT-102 and 202, XE-7, XD-11, X-570 and CLE. Everything about the ergonomics is just right.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin