Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,004   Online: 1055

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

How often do you use "toy" cameras that you have?

Beside my nikons and leica I have bunch of cheap stuff: minolta, yashica, agfa, zorki, argus, lomo, polaroid ... You know how it is, it is so cheap that you must buy it

But I noticed that I don't use it at all. I test it once, twice and that is it. Is this usual case with all of you? Or you use it often as more 'serious' cameras?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Similar... I played with my lubitel & lomos a few times, done testing. I tried the corbis pinhole cam once. I plan to use lubitel actually with some expired color neg. but I tested the film and it is not expired enough yet.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Same here, I got my working equipment and some older camera's that I hardly use.

But sometimes that older stuff can come in handy when I need an optic or shutter for something new or for testing new idea's.
    And some have too many dear memories.......

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I actually don't have any "cheap" stuff that isn't really excellent at something. For example, in Medium Format, I have Mamiya RZ67 and Rollie 6006 systems, but I also have a Yashica Mat 124 TLR that is just wonderful for shooting street candids - much better than my bigger MF SLRs and their superior lenses happen to be.

Similarly, I own Nikon F3s and N90s for serious 35mm film use, but there are plenty of times I'd rather shoot with a Minolta SRT or XD11, or a Konica Auto S2, because I just don't feel like lugging the big heavy gear around, and I know that the lenses I have with the other gear are just as nice, and have some beautiful rendering capabilities.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I used my sx-70 today but I tend to use my Holga more often. It depends on what I'm after. I guess I've been using my 4x5 more lately but that doesn't mean I won't use the other things sometime soon.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I admit, I have a certain scorn for the whole "toy camera" thing.

I do own an Agfa Clack, which was only €20 plus shipping while I was visiting Germany, but I don't think of it as a toy, just a very simple box camera from an era when those were normal. I actually find myself enjoying it and have loaded up my third roll of film, which technically ties the Clack for usage with my full-featured Fuji GA645, which I've owned for just slightly less time.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a fisheye camera that I use relatively frequently. And the Holga, too. Although I get sick of toys fast, and they spend up to a month on the shelf before I use them again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    All the time.... I take my Holga with me on walks, or drop it in my purse in case something interesting passes my way. I'd say I shoot several rolls a month with it.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    All the time.... I take my Holga with me on walks, or drop it in my purse in case something interesting passes my way. I'd say I shoot several rolls a month with it.
    You have a bigger purse than I do. I only throw my Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim in my purse... oh hey that's a toy camera I use all the time actually! I'm surprised I forgot.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    Beside my nikons and leica I have bunch of cheap stuff: minolta, yashica, agfa, zorki, argus, lomo, polaroid ... You know how it is, it is so cheap that you must buy it

But I noticed that I don't use it at all. I test it once, twice and that is it. Is this usual case with all of you? Or you use it often as more 'serious' cameras?
    Since I only use Minolta, I must always be using a toy or *cheap* camera I don't think I've ever heard a Maxxum 7 or an XD11 (or lots of other excellent Minoltas) called a toy, but there's a first time for everything I suppose.

And to answer you question, I don't get enough time for getting out and taking photos to risk using anything less than the best tool for the job, so it's mostly the Maxxum 7 nowadays, with the 600si or my son's Dynax 5 if I want a different film as well.

Oh, I almost forgot - I *do* have one toy camera here, lent to me by a friend, but I've only shot one roll with it and now it sits gathering dust - a Nikon N90S even though it has some nice manual focus lenses with it, I just don't like the layout. My 7 and 600si are like old friends after using anything else

Regards,
    Gordon
    *Minolta Maxxum 7 *Minolta Dynax 600si Classic *Minolta Dynax 5 *Minolta X-300
    *Minolta 28-105 RS, Minolta 50/1.7 (AF & MD), Minolta 50/2.8 Macro, Tamron 70-300
    *A passion to capture God's awesome creation

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin