Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,544   Posts: 1,544,423   Online: 1076

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Choices in auxiliary viewfinders.

What are my choices in a reasonably priced 50mm auxiliary finder or a multiple range finder with a clear view. I wear glasses or it must have a diopter. Thanks
    Last edited by waynecrider; 07-05-2009 at 04:52 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarification
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    35mm RF
    What I would suggest is an older simple viewfinder. I have one marked as "Sunset." It's made in Japan and came with some other camera things. It has framelines for 50mm and 85mm.

In any case, I would buy something used from eBay that doesn't cost more than $15 or $20 and hopefully less than that.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There are 2 other options: the viewfinder for the latest Olympus Pen or a finder for view camera's on ebay, the later is rather large, but can be an option.

A question though: can't you attach a correcting lens to your present viewfinder ? An optician should be able to cut/grind one for you with the strengh that you need.........
    I had one made for my Pentax 6x7 and it worked great.
    In that way you would look through your viewfinder without glasses.

Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It's not about not being able to see thru the viewfinder of a camera. I need a viewfinder in 50mm or a multiple FL one that is decent. I want to lock the mirror up and re-frame at infinity as needed.

I check Cameraquest, ouch, and some of the other used ones can be crappy. Apparently the Zeiss ones in 50 are the best but somewhat pricey. Ebay has a foreign guy selling a knockoff for $60 or so, but why bother. I'd rather spend the bucks here.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Other choice, ok I admit that's quite unusual but I suggest you to have a look at vintage Voigtländer Kontur "dark" viewfinder. It's to be used with both eyes open, the main one looking in the non see-through but seeing the frame of teh picture and the other eye seeing the area in front of you. Your brain is making 1 image of the 2 and miracle you can see what will be in the pic inside of the frame floating in front of you.
    That's really great specialy while shooting moving things.
    Off course impossible to use for one-eyed people.

Remark, different models exist:
    - for 35mm camera mounted with 50mm lens (attention named 35mm refering to film format not to lens focal)
    - for medium 6x6 with 80mm lens
    - for medium 6x9 with 105 lens
    For 35mm camera mounted with 50mm lens, 2 versions are available, one with close focus correcting parallaxe second grid (original ref 335/36) and a second one with only the main frame (335/23).

Some people don't like the Kontur but it's the favorite of other...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin