Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,215   Posts: 1,532,121   Online: 1039

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Pentax made the *ist (film version). It's small and light in weight. It's a very simple camera for amateurs.
    That camera looks very promising, and I have some Pentax lenses. I can't find any on KEH, though.

There are similar models from Nikon, Canon and Minolta (later Konica Minolta) on the used market that should fit the bill.
    What models are you thinking of? It's hard to get a sense of size/weight when buying online, like I did with my F4.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Minox? Olympus XA, pre-focused; f/5.6?

How about a Minox or Olympus XA in prefocus mode? I have made hundreds of good photos with this equipment. At f/5.6 on either one, they're very easy to operate. I especially liked my Minox; would love another one. You can tailor it's operation by choosing the film to suit the light. There are [as you likely well know] great b&w colour negative films [and slides?] from ISO 100 to 800. In the old days, I used Kodachrome 25 in my Minox. I treasure those slides from 30 years ago. It was my favourite for motocross racing photos.

Facetiously, I was going to suggest an M7 with 28mm lens at f/8. A bit smaller than a Rollei SL66.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently purchased a Yashica Zoomate 110W for my wife. I bought it new from a store that bought up the inventory of a photo store that was closing down, and had a large number of cameras like this in inventory. It cost me less than than $30.00.

I like the zoom range (28mm - 110mm), the size and the built-in diopter adjustment. It takes good sharp photos in a wide range of circumstances.

I also picked up a nice Olympus Stylus for $3.00 at the local thrift store. It too works well, and appeals to me because of the focus and exposure lock features.

It seems to me that an SLR would not be a good first choice for your wife, and would provide you with less of an "alternative" should you decide to borrow her camera .

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Minolta Maxxum/Dynex 5 meets and exceeds your specs. It is a more advanced camera than your Nikon. Light as a feather. Uses any Minolta/Sony lens made since 1985 See specs and manual on Minolta web site.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    A Nikon N-75 [F-75 outside North America] is light, provides the automatic functions [auto-exposure, auto-focus] you are looking for and can be set manually or manually focused when you want to.
    Here's another vote for the Nikon N75 (or F75 as it's called here). Today was the first day of my vacation and I spent most of the day with a F75 with a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 AF-D around my neck. It's a great snapshot camera. Although I usually prefer aperture priority (simply because that's what I've been using for over 20 years on my Nikon FE2) I use the Portrait and Landscape mode quite a lot on the F75. With the portrait mode I don't have to worry about the aperture being too large for the shortest exposure time, perfect when I just want to grab the camera and shoot.

Best regards,
    Erik Ehrling (Sweden)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Picking out a 35mm camera for your wife will only result in your having an additional camera for yourself.
    Digital is what she is used to and the instant nature of the results and ability to send over the 'Net' far outwieghs any percieved benifit for her that you may see in using film.
    My wife purchased a Sony SQ with AUTO docking station and she is as happy as a clam. She and most others could care less about film and attendant learning that goes along with film not to mention development, printing and slide scanning.
    So save yourself some money. The best you might do is to take her to a large outlet with newer digitals and let heer pick out the one she wants. Otherwise its a waste.-Dick

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by budrichard View Post
    Picking out a 35mm camera for your wife will only result in your having an additional camera for yourself.
    You say that like it's a BAD thing?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by budrichard View Post
    Dick is right....go with the Contax (:

Shooter
    35mm
    Digital is what she is used to and the instant nature of the results and ability to send over the 'Net' far outwieghs any percieved benifit for her that you may see in using film.
    Wow, how do you know so much about my wife? She and I are going to have to have a little talk I think.

My wife does not like digital cameras at all. She hates them almost as much as I do. Her Samsung point-and-shoot is a 35mm camera; perhaps you thought it was a digital-point-and-shoot.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My sister in law was petite and did quite well with an early Canon EOS Rebel. I told my wife after i first saw it that there was no way a "plastic" camera could hold up. Twenty years of hard shooting and that dude was still prancing. I sure ate my words.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin