Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,608   Online: 960

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The *ist was the last film SLR made by Pentax (I think). At the same time, it released the digital *ist, which I think was its first digital SLR.

Here's a film *ist on eBay. Note that this one is in the U.K. and is a two-lens set.

I think the Nikon SLR was the N75 or something like that. I can't recall the Minolta camera.

At the time these were released, I was focusing mostly on older German cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by budrichard View Post
    Picking out a 35mm camera for your wife will only result in your having an additional camera for yourself.
    You cracked the code! Why do you think I recommended the Nikon N-75 [F-75]?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canon Rebel 2000, Rebel Ti, or Rebel T2 are small and very nice in my opinion. Plus, they don't cost much on the auction site. These are the USA model designations. I don't recall what the international model designations are.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Wow, how do you know so much about my wife? She and I are going to have to have a little talk I think.

My wife does not like digital cameras at all. She hates them almost as much as I do. Her Samsung point-and-shoot is a 35mm camera; perhaps you thought it was a digital-point-and-shoot.
    Sorry, my assumption was wrong. In that case I have nothing to reccamend as these type of film cameras are probably reaching the end of thier useful lives and the autofocus will be the first thing to have problems. Good luck and tell your wife I sad hello.
    Just joking!-Dick

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Minolta Maxxum 5 was introduced after the Maxxum 7 and accepts plenty of Minolta, Konica-Minolta and Sony/Zeiss AF lenses. It and it's brethren (Maxxum 3 and Maxxum 4; QTsi; STsi and Maxxum 70) are the last of the Minolta camera line. They are all plastic bodies with relatively quick AF. I had the 5 and could not adjust to only having one adjustment wheel. My wife has a QTsi that she still uses and the Minolta Maxxum 7 that I shoot with. Minolta had some great glass in its semi-pro lineup. You could not go wrong with one of these bodies. The Maxxum 5 sells in the $60-$100 range and the others slightly less. Happy hunting.
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello,

I've never held a Maxxum 5, but my mother has a Minolta 50, which is (to me) tiny and she absolutely loves it. She is NOT a camera person, but the thing is small and easy to use. She bought it from KEH along with a Minolta 35-70 AF lens. Until she bought her digi p/s it was her only camera / lens and she carried it everywhere.

It's the camera I wish I'd bought my wife instead of the clunky, user-unfriendly Nikon n80 seven years ago.
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    Is the Nikon N75 comparable in size and weight to the N80?

I just got back from the camera store where they had an N80, and it was pretty small, but stunningly light compared to my F4. Practically a feather. Very plasticky and cheap feeling too, but still. N80's seem to go for about what N75s do, and I don't know exactly what the differences are.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred De Van View Post
    The Minolta Maxxum/Dynex 5 meets and exceeds your specs. It is a more advanced camera than your Nikon. Light as a feather. Uses any Minolta/Sony lens made since 1985 See specs and manual on Minolta web site.
    Heartily second this one. First and only AF SLR bought new. Does everything well on it's own, or fully manual if wanted.
    Seem to remember it being advertised as the smallest fully functional AF SLR available on the market, and that was just before the death of Film cameras so doubt anything smaller produced afterwards.
    Was until recently backup for my Maxxum 7 (though never needed it), might still be if the wife hadn't recently co-opted for her own use.

Shooter
    35mm
    The maxxum 5 looks very nice and it's cheap too, but I would have to buy a minolta AF prime lens. If I bought an N75 I could use a Nikon AF lens I already have or if I bought a Pentax MZ-5n or similar I could use my Pentax MF lenses on it until I could afford a Pentax AF lens. So although the maxxum 5 looks like the best one recommended so far, the glass situation makes it a bit worse than Nikon or Pentax.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    The maxxum 5 looks very nice and it's cheap too, but I would have to buy a minolta AF prime lens. If I bought an N75 I could use a Nikon AF lens I already have or if I bought a Pentax MZ-5n or similar I could use my Pentax MF lenses on it until I could afford a Pentax AF lens. So although the maxxum 5 looks like the best one recommended so far, the glass situation makes it a bit worse than Nikon or Pentax.
    Yep, sometimes you have to refrain from buying the best body in its class to save having to buy more lenses, as it takes some of the value out of the bargain price that the Dynax 5 is selling for

I was going to suggest the 5 as well, but I didn't because looking at what you already have, the Pentax might fit the bill better.

@ Chaplain Jeff - the Maxxum 50 is a perfectly good camera, but it isn't even half as good as a Maxxum 5. The model above the 50 (Maxxum 70) is in some ways better than a 5 but in other ways it is a step backwards.

I only replaced my 5 with a 600si, and then a Maxxum 7 because the 5 is just too darn small!!! And just maybe I'm a gear freak and can't resist temptation Funny thing is, I just can't bring myself to get rid of any of them...

Good luck with the decision,
    Gordon
    *Minolta Maxxum 7 *Minolta Dynax 600si Classic *Minolta Dynax 5 *Minolta X-300
    *Minolta 28-105 RS, Minolta 50/1.7 (AF & MD), Minolta 50/2.8 Macro, Tamron 70-300
    *A passion to capture God's awesome creation

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin