Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,546   Posts: 1,544,518   Online: 1103

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For auto focus to work well, it needs to be operated with a manual mindset anyhow, so this is not necessarily a fix-all solution unless she also learns to take manual control of her automatic focusing. When used for best results, it is not really auto focus. It is just motorized focus. If you don't manually tell it exactly what part of the composition to focus on, you get mixed results. If she can deal with single point AF and pull the AF command off of the shutter, then she will have perfect results every time. I would suggest one of the low end SLRs from whichever company you have a nice selection of compatible lenses. They are generally very light. Some won't allow you to remove the AF command from the shutter to a different button, however.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your wife would love the Pentax ME Super (No AF). OTOH; Olympus Stylus Epic fits the bill. I have one; small, compact, sharp. It travels in my shirt pocket all the time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I need:
    1. Autofocus
    2. Program autoexposure preferably with Matrix or other idiot-proof metering
    3. As small and light as possible.

What she really needs is a camera about the size of my ME Super or OM2, only AF with a program mode and matrix metering, but I don't there such a thing exists.
    What about a Pentax ZX-30/50/60? Should be about the same size as the ME (but has a built-in grip) and would be about 3 or 4 oz lighter. Another option would be the Pentax *ist (film) but they tend to command much higher prices than the ZX bodies and are harder to find.
    JeffW.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another consideration is that the camera for your wife should use the same lenses that you have. Nikon-Nikon or Canon-Canon.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    If she can deal with single point AF and pull the AF command off of the shutter, then she will have perfect results every time. I would suggest one of the low end SLRs from whichever company you have a nice selection of compatible lenses. They are generally very light. Some won't allow you to remove the AF command from the shutter to a different button, however.
    I've never known of a camera that lets you remove the AF function from the shutter button; all the AF cameras I've ever used you had to press the shutter release down halfway to auto-focus.
    Your wife would love the Pentax ME Super
    I have several of those. I like them a alot, but she has a hard time focusing them at larger apertures.
    What about a Pentax ZX-30/50/60? Should be about the same size as the ME (but has a built-in grip) and would be about 3 or 4 oz lighter. Another option would be the Pentax *ist (film) but they tend to command much higher prices than the ZX bodies and are harder to find.
    I'm really leaning toward a MZ/ZX-5n or MZ-3. It seems to be very full- featured yet small. A N75 would be the cheapest thing because I already have AF nikon lenses, but at least I have manual-focus Pentax lenses. I can't find a *ist anywhere. What about those ZX-30/50/60 bodies? Are they the cheaper models, kind of how the OM10 is the cheaper model compared to the OM1?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Might I inquire what do you feel is wrong/what your wife feels is lacking with the Samsung P&S she is currently using?

It might not be high end, but if it works for her, that's what's important, right?

Shooter
    35mm
    There's always that, of course. But I see her trying to use my cameras, it's just that they are too hard for her to focus. I just think that she would be even happier with a camera that was easy to use like the Samsung yet gave her better results like my cameras.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    35mm Holga?

It fits all your requirements!

Auto exposure... Yeah don't worry about it.

Auto focus... You don't have to worry about it! It does everything for you...
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin