Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,753   Posts: 1,515,920   Online: 1062

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    @ Doug: Damn even more choices :-) Wel as far as I can see the by you mentioned Minaltas are not for sale here in the netherlands. Just a lot of xd-5 or xd 7 or x300 and so. And those are bit more expensive then the Canon. As far as AF if I choose that I would stick to Canon. Well keeps me busy for a while. Thanks for the reactions. Keep um coming.

Regards,

Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't see how you could go wrong with an A-1 - they are built like tanks and there are some extremely good, inexpensive, lenses available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Peter, the XD7 in Europe is America's XD11. Very nice camera, very smooth operation. Expect to replace the covering. MD lenses are as undervalued as Canon FD lenses, but as they weren't as popular as FD they're sometimes harder to find.

If you already have EOS lenses that are not EF-S, then you can pick up an EOS 600 for very little. It's a great camera, I have several and I love them. EOS 5 is also good, and cheap.

Otherwise you could get yourself a fully manual Canon AT-1 and a handful of FD lenses for under $100, then pick up a T90 or A1 later if you want to expand.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Peter. I personally recommend sticking with the EOS system. I use EOS, and it works great. Go on craigslist or the auction site and pick up an EOS 1/1N for less than the cost of a decent USM prime, have lots of fun. If you want that old style look, save your lust for later, fall madly in love with film photography, and buy a Hasselblad 500 C/M. Thats the old style look...
    David

A Holga is an ugly woman, a Brownie is a delicious treat.

dromanophoto.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Canon T90!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you want a camera with an EOS feel and an FD mount, the T90 is the answer.

I've had a Canon New F-1 since it was new in the early 1980s, and I have an EOS mount camera of the sort that isn't discussed on APUG, and I've made it work out that most of my lenses can be used on both--Tamron Adaptall II's, M42 mount, and FD mount teles that can be used with the Canon FD-EOS converter (which is hard to find and only works with lenses 200mm and longer, so I wouldn't buy an FD camera with a plan of buying an original Canon FD-EOS converter). I have no interest in autofocus, so this works for me.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter de Groot View Post
    @ Doug: Damn even more choices :-) Wel as far as I can see the by you mentioned Minaltas are not for sale here in the netherlands. Just a lot of xd-5 or xd 7 or x300 and so. And those are bit more expensive then the Canon. As far as AF if I choose that I would stick to Canon. Well keeps me busy for a while. Thanks for the reactions. Keep um coming.

Regards,

Peter
    The XD-7 is the same camera as the XD-11, it was called the XD-7 in Europe, XD-11 in the USA, and the XD in Asia. The XD-5 is very similar, just lacking in the aperture window in the viewfinder, also the XD-5 seems to have a covering that's less susceptible to shrinkage than that of the XD-7/11.

Similarly, the X-500 is the same camera as the X-570, just marketed to different geographies under a different number.

BTW, I would agree with the prior posts that if you were to go with the Canon FD system, then the T-90 or the F-1n are better choices than the A-1. The A-1 has an issue with many cameras running out of lubrication of the Mirror box that is common among all Canon A-series bodies, that causes a wheezing/squeaking sound when the shutter is tripped, and unless this is remedied in short order, the cameras will soon jam up and require a major repair. I also happen to think that the A-1 ergonomics are clunky - the T-90 is much better in this regard, and the F-1n is a more reliable and rugged camera.
    Last edited by dougjgreen; 07-06-2009 at 08:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok I have decided not to opt for autofocus. I have that on my digital so if I want that I'll use digital. So I go for manual and oldstyle camera. So that leaves me with a lot of options. I'm not stuck on Canon....maybe I should buy a cheap pentax body since I have already two pentax lenses anyway. Think I''l keep on searching for the cheapest option. I'll let you guys know what I have bought. Thanks for all the input.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you go for Pentax; consider Spotmatic SP II, SP 1000. Also ME, ME Super and Super Program. As for lenses; I stick to Super-Multi-Coated Takumars:
    50mm 1.4
    55mm f/2
    135mm f/3.5
    etc

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Peter. are your Pentax lenses Bayonet mount, or screw mount?

If they are screw mount, there are tons of Pentax choices that are very inexpensive - but the key is to just get a fully working camera that can use current batteries for the meter, and that's not so easy.

The more modern Pentax bayonet mount cameras all use modern batteries. I really like the Pentax MX, because it is so small and light. The Pentax ME Super is also a good choice, and much easier to find.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin