Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,854   Online: 1033

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good Choice! I prefer Manual Focus too.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Be mindful of the A series shutter "wheezing" - apparantly it happens quite a bit, putting an effective end to the bodies life - the shutter eventually fails. For manual focus Canons, I understand this is only an issue with the A series, but not the more rugged F series. My preference is for a manual focus Nikon body / lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For now, I suggest Canon FD instead of Canon EOS. The lenses are designed to be used 100% manually, and as such, manual focus is much easier with them than with an EF lens designed to be used with auto focus most of the time. Additionally, everything for the system is much cheaper, and they are much less distracting to use, and have very little that you have to monkey with.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both the Canon FD and EOS systems and I must admit that after using the EOS 3 for the last year, while I like it, I still prefer the Canon New F1 with the motor drive and 100 frame back. I have passed my A1 down to my daughter because after using the New F1 it was hard going back to it.
    I have added a 500mm f4.5L lens to the New F1 kit where there would be no way I could afford the similar lens in the EOS configuration.. The best part of the FD system is the low cost to put together a great macro kit with the bellows and assorted macro lens, which almost all can be used on the EOS system with the Canon Macro FD/EOS Converter.

Gord

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Just to add more confusion to this, I recommend the EOS series, for some simple reasons:

- there are so many analog EOS bodies available that you get them at bargain prices, except some highly sought professional ones (the 1v is still very, very expensive). That means, if one body is defective you can simply exchange it.
    - The EOS system has been so successful, that there are tremendous amounts of cameras and lenses in the market.
    - EOS cameras are much younger than FD-mount cameras, and most lenses are more modern.
    - If you like to work with telephoto lenses, IS a godsend.
    - Film transport is very precise. Metering is sophisticated in the better bodies.
    - You get everything from consumer-grade plastic toys to professional gear. This applies to cameras and lenses.
    - You don't have to switch between different ways of using a camera. If you know how to use a modern EOS DSLR you learn how to use an EOS 1 within minutes.
    - You can use lenses with many different mounts on EOS cameras with easily available adapters. The short flange helps:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_mo...of_lens_mounts

The drawbacks:
    - Using an EOS is a little like using an iPod... buttons, menus etc. and lacks the feeling of fine mechanics, gear wheels etc.
    - I really, really hate the way Canon has implemented mirror lockup.
    - People using digital EOS cameras also look for used lenses, prices for good lenses are definitily higher. That also applies for good wide-angle lenses with adaptable mounts (Nikon, Leica R, Contax).
    - Manual focusing is only fun when you exchange the focussing screen.
    - All EOS cameras rely on batteries.
    - Film transport is always motorized, so these cameras are often louder than mechanic SLRs without a motor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it is time to tell you what I did buy. I have been away on and off for the last two weeks so I didn't spend much time on the internet. I bought a Pentax ME Super. Since I wanted to go manual and Already had a 50 mm F2,0 and a 135 mm F2,8 lens I decided to stick with Pentax. I bought one for 40 euro with two zoomlenzes. a 35-100 mm F3,5-F4,3 and a 70-210 mm F4-F5,6. Very happy with it. I like the small size of it. It also had a cokin filterset with two special effect filters with it.
    Now I only want a 28 mm lens and a tele-extension of 2x.

Thanks for all your advise. I'm sure that when I have the money I will try out some more of the above mentioned camera's.

Regards,

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well last weekend I bought a 400 mm tokina telelens for 20 euro´s F5,6. Only thing missing now is a 28 mm wide angle but that will come.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin