Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,491   Online: 661

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Canon A series or Canon eos?

Hi,

I have rather strange question I think. In september I will start studies in photography. This school Still teaches using analogue camera's and darkroom techniques. So for this reason I am looking for a analogue Canon camera. I can't choose between a Eos canon because my digital canon is also an Eos. Therefor my 50 mm and 100 mm I can use on an analoge Eos as wel. Or I can buy myself something like a Canon A1 with lenses. And a motorwinder and stuff.
    I know it makes sens to buy an Canon Eos. Motordrive, autofocus use of lenses I already have. But On the other hand I really like the oldfashioned stuff as wel. But no autofocus and different lens mount. So can anyone share their views on this matter? Oh I don't have the money yet to buy both versions. If I would have I would rather spend it on extra's for my Kowa super 66.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Flip a coin! Assuming your EOS lenses are not the EF-S variety, cross over use is attractive. But you can buy an A series body and FD lenses for very low prices today so it won't cost a whole lot of money to put together a small kit. I'd think for most classes you might not need more than one lens, a "normal" 50 mm or so. But if you decide not to share your EOS lenses, maybe some other make altogether would be worth a look. I personally have an A-1 and a few FD lenses; I still rather like it for the rare occasions I shoot 35mm film.

DaveT

Shooter
    35mm
    I own FD and EOS zoom lenses and EF, EOS-1 and Elan IIe cameras. The EOS-EF zooms are very nice and very expensive. I feel that my FD prime lenses: 24/2.8, 35/3.5, 50/1.4 and 50/3.5 Macro are my best SLR lenses and on par with my RF lenses. Current Canon lenses are not built as well and I think the optical qualities may not match the older lenses. I also have decent FD mount zooms: 24-70 and 80-200. The EOS-EF lenses do the job. I enjoy using the FD lenses.

Just one invidual's opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer Manual Focus so I would go for a 'New' F-1 with an AE finder FN or a Motor Drve and/or an A-1 and a bunch of great FD lenses (dirt cheap now a days).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd look out for a cheap bargain priced EOS body, then see if anyone's selling a Canon A series outfit, often an outfit sells for lower prices than you'd expect.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a pentax set now. A z20 body and some manual lenses. The 50 and 100 are not the ef-s variety. Just too bad that Canon decided to use a different lensmount starting with the eos series. Pentax and Nikon are more user friendly in that respect.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Last edited by delphine; 07-06-2009 at 02:44 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Peter beats me to posting, my post became redundant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I shoot EOS and and OM1. I like both, but for different purposes. The OM1 is smaller, lighter and a more satisfying piece of hardware. I suspect the same is true for the FD mount Canons. On the other hand, the EOS is insanely fast to use and is great for people photography. They both will take great pictures, but which is best depends on how you want to use them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    EOS system is great, but I kinda like the FD system a little bit better.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you want manual focus, I personally prefer Minoltas to Canon FD series. The Minoltas have better ergonomics, and I find that the lenses are available for even lower prices than the Canon FDs. A Minolta XD-11 is, IMHO, superior to a Canon A-1 in just about every way, and probably costs around the same if not slightly less. A Minolta X-570 will be even cheaper and is just a great, practical film camera. Both the Minolta MC/MD and Canon FD lens mounts are dead ends, so bargains abound for both.

If you want to go for AF, you should certainly also bring Nikon into the conversation. Nikon and Canon are the dominant AF systems, and, I hesitate to mention it, but their AF film systems are compatible with Digital gear as well. The decision between Autofocus and Manual focus is a personal one, and nobody can really say which one would be best for someone else.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin