Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,072   Online: 1050

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Vivitar 2.8 28mm (by Komine)

Shooters?
    Good/Bad/Ugly?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My Vivitar 2.8 28-90 vignettes between 28-50. I hate it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    Shooters?
    Good/Bad/Ugly?
    I assume the OP is referring to the 28mm f2.8 Prime, not one of their zooms that goes down to 28mm.

Assuming that, it's decent. And extremely small and compact. But pretty low contrast wide open, improves noticeably at f4 and a bit more at f5.6.

I wouldn't pay a lot for it - They can be picked up on the 'bay for something like $20 in most mounts.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm aware of that, just helping in any way I can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My instinct is that you should buy your camera-brand lens because fixed 28s can be found really cheaply. I bet you could, for example, get a 28/3.5 Nikkor for around $20 and you'd have a lens of really good quality (albeit 2/3 stop slower).

That having been said, the 28 is a pretty simple lens by today's standards and I imagine the Vivitar is reasonably good.

I rarely used a fixed 28 anymore (I have a 17-35/2.8 zoom of great quality and it's more convenient most of the time) but I have an AI Nikkor 28/2.8 in my bag. It cost me $75 several years ago and it's a solid lens if I want to travel light.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    Shooters?
    Good/Bad/Ugly?

Bargain for a cheap price, mine was £6 and the results would satisfy 99% of photographers........likes a hood as you can get flare more easily compared to say a Canon 28mm FD lens, also IMO I don't think it is as good as a Canon FD 28mm for sharpness, but close.

Vivitar 28mm f2.8 by Komine:-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice shot Excalibur2

Shooter
    35mm
    I have one of these in Canon or Minolta mount. It's a decent performer. I prefer the older 28/2.5 Fixed Mount made by Kino but that lens is much larger. If the 28-90 f/2.8-3.5 shows darkening at the corners you should check to see that your lens hood isn't too long for the wide range and that your filter isnlt too thick. I have a few of these and have not seen the same problem.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dynachrome View Post
    I have one of these in Canon or Minolta mount. It's a decent performer. I prefer the older 28/2.5 Fixed Mount made by Kino but that lens is much larger. If the 28-90 f/2.8-3.5 shows darkening at the corners you should check to see that your lens hood isn't too long for the wide range and that your filter isnlt too thick. I have a few of these and have not seen the same problem.
    I agree that the older 28mm f2.5 Vivitar made by Kino is better, but it's twice the size, and at least twice the weight of the 28mm f2.8 referred to in the OP.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have that lenz to and it is a great lens especially for the price you can get them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin