Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,679   Posts: 1,482,186   Online: 1051

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Off-brand K-mount body.

I am in the market for a k-mount body.

I have a selection of M42 lenses and hope to eventually be able to afford a Pentax LX.

At the moment I am slowly trying to acquire some k-mount lenses, and would like a body to use them on. MX/E, K2/M/X, K1000 are a bit expensive and hard to come by.

Are there any off brand K-mount camera models such as Ricoh/Revue/Chinon/Porst/etc... that is worth considering? All I need is some kind of control over the shutter speed and reliability.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Ricoh KR series was a solid body. I have heard the Chinons are ok, too. Freestyle sells a Vivitar, made in China, I think. Porst could be anything; it was a house brand name for Foto Porst, a German equivalent of Ritz Camera (USA).
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Meanwhille you can give the ProgramA / ProgramPlus a try, those bodies are usually cheaper and are very nice and solid
    with all the pluses of the old ones, pus electronic shutters
    There was one for sale + lens+motor drive here a few weeks back
    You may also want to check a MZ7 or a MZ-M which are cheaper but very functional

Don't waste money/time on the K1000 better spend it on a KX/KM or an MX/ME Super

The Ricohs are generally solid cameras, those were also sold as Sears brand, and usually are sold for peanuts.

Get a good set of light-seals from JonGoodman for any of those thou

Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    I am in the market for a k-mount body.

I have a selection of M42 lenses and hope to eventually be able to afford a Pentax LX.

At the moment I am slowly trying to acquire some k-mount lenses, and would like a body to use them on. MX/E, K2/M/X, K1000 are a bit expensive and hard to come by.

Are there any off brand K-mount camera models such as Ricoh/Revue/Chinon/Porst/etc... that is worth considering? All I need is some kind of control over the shutter speed and reliability.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Chinon CE-4(S) are excellent camera's they sell for very reasonable prices on ebay, they are what Pentax should have made rather than the ME & ME Super, I've used them all.

Ian

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here you'll find a SLR body offered with different lens mounts:

http://www.chine-taiwan.com/phenixoptics.htm

It is sold rebranded by different companies, but seems to be of chinese origin.

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Supposedly some of those newer el-cheapo ones (Chinon, rebrands, et. al.) are made from the same tooling as the last run of the Pentax K1000. That's what "they" tell me, anyway.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I really like the Ricoh KR-5 - there were 3 versions, all good. They can usually be found on the 'bay for $25-40 and they are quite nice. Essentially, a more compact, lighter version of a Pentax KM or KX - with a few more features than a K1000, including more viewfinder info and depth of field preview.

I wouldn't consider the Ricohs as an off brand - they were not copies of anything, and had nice ergonomics and nice features. IMHO, they are quite legitimate alternatives to the Pentaxes.

Shooter
    35mm

Off-brand K mount body

I have three Vivitar V4000S bodies and a V4000. The S has a self timer. I don't thnk I paid more than $25 for any one of them. They are very light and have sensitive and accurate light meters. As a stop-gap measure they should do what you need. I also have two Sears KS Autos, a Ricoh KR-5 Super, a Ricoh XR-S and another auto-only Sears K mount SLR. These all seem light in weight compared to the K1000 I have. The Sears cameras were made by Ricoh.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin