Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,144   Online: 776

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Sell the flash, buy the F3?

I've been having battery problems with my F5. I put new batteries in a week ago, and only shot a roll or two, and its saying that my battery is too low to shoot. Therefore I'm thinking sell the flash [SB600] to my friend that shoots digital, as it works wirelessly with his D200, and get a nice reliable, not too battery dependent Nikon F3. Good course of action?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How often do you use that flash? If you can totally live without it I think it sound like a pretty good idea.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've used it for some indoor stuff, but I could certainly get by without it, as I also have a Metz flash with PC cord adapter.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Marko,

I have the F5 and F3 w/MD4. To be honest, I have not used the F3 in years (I barely use the F5 either). That said, I have never experienced any battery problems in the F5.

I would have a look at your "Custom settings" to see if by chance your F5 is staying on too long. I think there's a setting for that. I have a pdf cheat-sheet of the settings and codes somewhere. If need be, I can dig it up and send it to you.

As for the SB 600, dump it. Over-rated, under-powered piece of @%#**! Almost any Metz will out perform that flash. To be gentler, I should say it might perform ok as a secondary or low-powered slave unit, but as a primary, I would not consider it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go for the F3. I recently got one in very good condition from KEH for $109 (body only) - marked as bargain but little brassing around corners is the only sign it was used. Can't go wrong with that.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Marko,

I have the F5 and F3 w/MD4. To be honest, I have not used the F3 in years (I barely use the F5 either). That said, I have never experienced any battery problems in the F5.

I would have a look at your "Custom settings" to see if by chance your F5 is staying on too long. I think there's a setting for that. I have a pdf cheat-sheet of the settings and codes somewhere. If need be, I can dig it up and send it to you.

As for the SB 600, dump it. Over-rated, under-powered piece of @%#**! Almost any Metz will out perform that flash. To be gentler, I should say it might perform ok as a secondary or low-powered slave unit, but as a primary, I would not consider it.
    Thomas, I think the battery problem is caused by water damage, as before it got soaked, wouldn't turn on, so i left it for a week or so, and tried again, and it mostly worked. Now I see this battery problem.

The 600 was good enough for almost everything I did, but now I'm going back to fast film and natural light.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you have had a water problem before: clean tha battery contacts first and see what happens.
    Coroded or dirty battery contacts give resistance and therefore a low battery level warning.
    Soaking a camera is seldom good for it (exept for the Nikonos ofcourse )

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Cleaned it, still the same problem. Water got into the focus motor though the mount and screwed up focusing and battery.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might be able to get a Vivitar 283 or 285 and an F3 with the money from the flash, those things are really expensive. If you do that you will need the hot shoe adapter for the F3. I got a Nikon handle flash, probably from eBay but I am not sure, that I use with my F3 and it is fantastic. Actually, I also have a standard cable for it and use it with my RB67 too!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go with the F3HP Marko.......a few dollars more and you've got a fantastic finder. (I have 2)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin