Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,092   Online: 898

Shooter
    Multi Format

M and R summicron

I am wondering: are summicron 50mm on M mount and on R mount optically same?

I know that those are two completely different approach (rangefinder and SLR) – I just want to know – if I buy cheaper R body and lens – will I get same effect (bokeh, specific leica look, same sharpness, and all rest...) as in M combination? I see that people on internet are glorifying M lenses, but R lenses not so much.

regards,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They aren't the same, that's why M series cameras and lenses are so desirable. I do use a 50mm Summicron on an M3 and it's an outstanding lens.

Can't comment about the R series lenses.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    I am wondering: are summicron 50mm on M mount and on R mount optically same?

I know that those are two completely different approach (rangefinder and SLR) – I just want to know – if I buy cheaper R body and lens – will I get same effect (bokeh, specific leica look, same sharpness, and all rest...) as in M combination? I see that people on internet are glorifying M lenses, but R lenses not so much.

regards,
    Both lenses have gone through many changes. You need the book 'Leica Lens Compendium' by Erwin Puts
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    They aren't the same, that's why M series cameras and lenses are so desirable. I do use a 50mm Summicron on an M3 and it's an outstanding lens.

Ian
    I was afraid of this answer

I saw lots of great photos with summicron M mount - they have some atmosphere that is special, don't know to put it in words exactly what it is...

I am looking for summicron 50mm ... and first I was thinking to buy screw mount and put it on my zorki4. But I don't like shoot with zorki, it is not fun, doesn't feel right.

Then I was thinking that I will get same result with R mount... but on the end only solution will be some bessa or M leica. There is no workaround for this

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 90mm lenses (of more or less the same generation) are often optically the same in M and R versions.

The 50mm lenses could be (though in many old cameras 58mm was the classic border for having to use retrofocus designs). I have no 50mm in either.

The 35mm lenses definitely are not, and I like my 35mm R Summicron much better than the M one (strangely enough).

Generally speaking, you'll definitely get the look you want with the R system (the caveat of choosing wisely goes for any system).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    See the links to "Technical Data" and "Know How" on this page http://en.leica-camera.com/photograp...nses/3802.html These lead to .pdf files, the first of which is Leica's technical data on the 50 and 60 mm lenses for the R system. The second is Erwin Puts' write up on the same lenses. It contains the following statement:

The current [50mm] Summicron-R is almost identical in optical con-
    struction with its counterpart in the M-system.
    I've shot R's for over 30 years, 24mm f:2.8, 50mm f:2, 100mm f:4 macro, and 180mm f:4, on two bodies. I've also shot with M lenses for over 25 years. Leica strives for a similar overall "family" character with all their lenses, but allows for different balances of characteristics so that each lens has it's own particular strengths. These design goals are clearly stated in their write-ups on the lenses.

Lee
    Last edited by Lee L; 07-09-2009 at 08:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The longer the focal length, the more similar that they are. Leica takes advantage of the short registration distance of the M-mount on all of the wider lenses. Anything from 35mm and wider is definitely to the advantage of the M-mount. Although, I have found that the 28mm Elmarit-R is a great lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are several versions of course. Overal the 50's are very much the same as are the 90, the 135's and to some extent also the 35's. There are differences but they are small and more depending on your choice of film and style of shooting. In some cases the lenses are exactly the same as is the case with the 90 apo and the 135/2.8.
    Cheers,
    Michiel Fokkema

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin