Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,520   Online: 1007

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    a big tripod and an XA!? now that's a dorky combo if I ever saw one. If you are getting paid use pro gear. add the funky effects in PS. At least you are starting off with a good neg.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm 16 and i know what a XA is :P Of course, I own one The F5 is totally dead without batteries, all I can do is wind the film back into the canister. It shows newish[1 week in camera] batteries as low, and I tried borrowing a N90s, but was not able to. I don't really feel naked with the XA, it has the perfect combo, manual focus and aperture priority autoexp! The 35mm lens is not a problem, I shoot wide/normal with more wide usage, so I'm totally comfortable with that focal length. I'll def have a write up on how it went. The XA looks interesting on a pro tripod as well.

Added: Well I have no other tripod, and XA gives pro results, so I guess its pro gear!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are a professional, and I really mean a professional; one who was hired for your pictures, not some guy just doing an odd job for pay, and an XA does the job for you, then don't worry about anything else. Use the tool you deem best for the job. They are the ones who sought you out and hired you, so you do it your way. Despite what lots of photographers think, having better equipment than the client is a non concern if your pictures are any good. It is up to you to determine if the XA will be the best tool at your disposal for this particular situation. If you can't decide that, then you have more to worry about than what the thing looks like.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-09-2009 at 08:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rent the Nikon bodies you need. You will have more control and have a better chance in controlling the out come. If its not paying enough to do this, skip it until you get your Nikon bodies repaired. Odd that all of your Nikon bodies are acting up at once.:o
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I actually only have one Nikon body, and no rental place nearby. I have a ton of control over the XA, enough that I can take a good shot in almost any conditions.
    2F/2F: I know the XA will give me the results I want, I was just worried about the client seeing me as a non serious photographer.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Looks go a long way, Marko. However, so does the way you carry yourself. You could show up with a Brownie Bullseye or a Holga. You might get some looks with a 'lesserl camera such as the XA but if you know what you're doing and you project that attitude into the crowd then you will be perceived as a photographer who knows what he's doing. The quality of the work will be remembered long after the appearance of the gear. Just make sure you are familiar with whatever you chose to use. Good luck. Keep us posted.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Simply get some cardboard tubes of various diameters, in various colours such as black, dark black, light black, silver and grey, and glue them together to make a suitable decoy lens sticking out the front - if it's huge enough it'll still allow the full 35mm field of view and look exactly like a grown-up camera while acting as a jolly good lens shade.

Shooter
    35mm
    Do use XA. And show us some of your work later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the results from the XA mets the standards use it. I have read about a profesional children photographer who, using her OMs at a job, was told by an amateur with some big highend something that she shouldn't worry if her pics didn't turn out, his would :rolleyes:
    One of our own once used a Diana to shoot a wedding.
    The best shot I ever made of my wive was done with a Pentax Zoom 105 P&S.
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Marko- I've seen your work, just go in there with cameras blazing, and grab all the angles you can. Don't worry about your equiptment. I used to take every camera I owned to jobs and used them for what they did best. Most of my early work was with an Arguc C-3, a Yashica D, and an Olympus FTLwith borrowed lenses(so much for the stuff I shot in the '60's). As I made a reputation and money, I bought and used Kowa Super 66's , andOM-1's and OM-4's. These days, I'm happy with a Yash D, a Duaflex II, and a home made 5x4 (my wife and daughter shoot my 35's). Point being--USE WHAT YOU HAVE AND BE PROUD OF IT--Its your attitude and ability that will sell your work.
    Rick

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin