Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,537   Posts: 1,544,268   Online: 777

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    was thinking to shoot it all with the Gitzo tripod/XA/Kodak Portra 160VC as my Nikons acting up .
    I think you answer your own question - you're only using the XA because your Nikon's 'acting up' and you're tacitly acknowledging to yourself that you're planning to use a camera that wouldn't normally be your first choice for the job. As has been said, your results should speak for themselves but if you show up brandishing what some will perceive to be a Mickey Mouse camera (I know XAs are better than that - I have a couple) you may not get the co-operation or respect at the time of taking the photos and hence may not get the same opportunities to produce your best work.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do post your results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would say use the XA. I also had to look it up.

I know a pro fashion photog that still uses an old Hi-Matic 7 for his images, including strobes. And they come out spectacular. Lighting with the look of some good portra film is always a good outcome.

If looks are everything, bring that other camera, and at least pretend to take pictures.
    Digital/Film Online Portfolio

Cameras:
    -Exakta 66 Mod 2
    -Norita 66
    -Arax 60
    -Voigtlander R2A
    -Pentax LX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the XA will do the job you need to do there is no reason to not use it.

If the client is both knowledgeable enough about cameras to know the difference between the cameras and cares about those sort of things then hang your Nikon around your neck an bring that too, but don't shoot with it if it is unreliable.

Also, if necessary you can explain to the client that you are planning to use the XA as your primary camera for the shoot, and you can explain the advantages of the XA for the task (better mobility, faster shooting, top quality lens, or whatever.)
    Last edited by alanrockwood; 07-10-2009 at 08:58 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: minor wording adjustment

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i've got friends who use a yashica t4 for restaurant/food photography,
    i am sure there are people who use toy cameras and the photos are published in time magazine &C ...
    when i was shooting for a newspaper in the 90s, from time to time i used a speed graphic,
    instead of my pentax ...

as long as you know how to operate your camera and you won't be fumbling around, marko, and
    YOU feel comfortable using it, and think the images it makes will 'work', by all means use it ..
    if not ..... use a different rig ... it is just a tool like anything else ...

good luck!
    john
    Last edited by jnanian; 07-10-2009 at 11:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As much as i like my XA, it does not produce the best results.
    If they are good enough, there is no problem.

But if they are not, i think it would indeed be unprofessional to use it, just because your better equipment isn't avialable.
    It would be more professional to pass the job on to someone who can do it as required.

Remember, it's not YOU who must feel comfortable. It is the client who must like that he or she gets his or her money's worth.
    If not that, it will be the last time you get a chance pocketing some of their money. And YOU may feel less comfortable because of that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The fact that you asked is telling.

Of course, maybe its a low level assignment not really needing a pro and the pay is not worth putting your best foot forward.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    An artist can use whatever camera he damn well pleases. A professional photographer can not.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    How big are the enlargements going to be? That's the only thing that really matters. If you can get the shots you need with the XA, then forget about the rest. Sure, they might raise their eyebrows in surprise when they see it, but when you hand them the results they will forget all about it - if you deliver quality.
    I know you will...you just have to know you will.
    Camera envy is really over rated. Get them going on posing, doing their stuff, and fire away. They should be so absorbed in posing for you, so wrapped up in the moment, that they don't even care what you're pointing at them.
    Jed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    An artist can use whatever camera he damn well pleases. A professional photographer can not.
    Oh.

Good to know.

Well, I guess that settles it.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin