Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,411   Online: 1034

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

XA: Too unprofessional?

I'm doing a paid band shoot in a few days, and was thinking to shoot it all with the Gitzo tripod/XA/Kodak Portra 160VC as my Nikons acting up regarding batteries, and I don't want a dead camera when I need it. The XA doesn't look very professional, though the results out of it to, and I'm wondering if look is important at all? Also, the only problem I can foresee with the XA is no exposure lock, which is fine, I'll just move around so the meter doesn't get fooled.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    To some people looks are all important, so yes it can matter.
    On the other hand the quality of your pictures should tell them that you are a Pro.
    It depends on how much you are getting paid for the shots too.

I never did an asignment with 35mm, some MF and mostly LF (weddings/portraits and architecture respectively).

If you can not borrow a TLR or any MF, have at least a seperate lightmeter with you......

Peter

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I wouldn't use an XA. It's aperture priority with a meter than can be easily fooled by stage lighting.

Plus, it's just too small, and I agree with you that it looks unprofessional.

Show up with that, and it will be your first and last shoot. It doesn't matter how good the photos are. News travels quickly among bands. Bad news travels even faster.

Borrow a real camera -- or at least one that looks real in the eyes of the non-photographer.

When I was shooting semi-pro, I always showed up with at least two bodies.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    I wouldn't use an XA. It's aperture priority with a meter than can be easily fooled by stage lighting.

Plus, it's just too small, and I agree with you that it looks unprofessional.

Show up with that, and it will be your first and last shoot. It doesn't matter how good the photos are. News travels quickly among bands. Bad news travels even faster.

Borrow a real camera -- or at least one that looks real in the eyes of the non-photographer.

When I was shooting semi-pro, I always showed up with at least two bodies.
    I'll be shooting in an abandoned building, so no difficult lighting there for the meter to be fooled by. It does look unprofessional, but the look of the lens is unique and awesome. I also have a Leica, but I need a wide lens for indoor photos. I wonder if the pro tripod will make up for the non-pro look of the camera...
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you cannot borrow a suitable replacement for your F5 ...

Take your F5 and use it. Take your XA as well - use it for unusual angles close-up (assuming you have access close up).

As noted above, the XA's metering isn't well suited to stage lighting, unless you are essentially on the stage with the band.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Matt King, but will add to use the little lever under the camera, to alter the exposure setting for a backlight situation, that, plus changing the ASA setting to a slower or faster setting to get the shutter speed/aperture combination you require.

It is a very good camera, you just need to know how to stretch it's capabilities to the limit!

Mick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mick, I totally forgot about all that! If its a harder lighting situation, I think I'll spotmeter and change the XA until it matches the meter, though I don't think I'll come into difficult situations. That's pretty much the only thing I prefer on the Stylus epic to the XA, meter lock!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If they are after a particular look and you explain that that is the camera to give them it then I can see them understanding. Personally if I wanted a compact camera for a job I would use my Canonet not my XA2.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think the highly saturated film combined with the vignetting of the lens will give a awesome look. I'll be sure to tell them that! I don't have a Canonet though, the closest thing I have is a Leica, and a wide lens is more fitting for this.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow. I hope I'm not going to be seen as rude, but I had to look up "XA" (showing my youthfulness I suppose). I'd probably feel pretty naked using such a camera. I think the best bet is, as MattKing says, take your F5, get as much use out of it anyway, and I'm sure you'll get a handle on the kind of exposure settings anyway. If it does go dead, I assume that you can still manually wind the film... Maybe not. But use the XA for "unusual" angles and for "experimenting", and for getting "proofs" and for "calibrating", because you're a perfectionist. Any chance of picking up new batteries or another Nikon? I saw on some website that the XA is a 35mm focal length camera, which wouldn't give you much range or scope.

I'd be interested in hearing how it went.
    Film and digital; best of both worlds. JapanesePhotos.Asia.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin