Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,704   Posts: 1,548,473   Online: 867

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 267891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Resurgence?

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    [...]Any report of a resurgence of film photography is grossly exaggerated.
    Disagree.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I went to a fancy dress party the other day with the theme of the 1970's. I went as a kind of 1970's paparazzi photographer, big curly wig, flares, drooping moustache, that sort of thing. Took my Nikon F3HP with the MD-4 motordrive and a big metz hammer-head flash (ok, the F3 was introduced in 1980, but it's close!) partly as a prop, but mainly to use to photograph the event. People were amazed that the camera actually worked, and it did get a lot of appreciative comments about it being a 'proper camera', which of course it is....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Aint that the truth. I think that DSLR’s are the gadget “de jour” at the moment. Give em a few years and there will be an awful lot of second hand digital equipment on the market and not simply because they are obsolete (which they will be….)

"A few years"
    !?
    I'd give them 12 months at the most before the next sparkle catches their eye and they fall over themselves to be best dressed on the old block...

—Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xtolsniffer View Post
    I went to a fancy dress party the other day with the theme of the 1970's. I went as a kind of 1970's paparazzi photographer, big curly wig, flares, drooping moustache, that sort of thing. Took my Nikon F3HP with the MD-4 motordrive and a big metz hammer-head flash (ok, the F3 was introduced in 1980, but it's close!) partly as a prop, but mainly to use to photograph the event. People were amazed that the camera actually worked, and it did get a lot of appreciative comments about it being a 'proper camera', which of course it is....
    Sounds a lot of fun to me. As a one-time user of that kit (Nikon F3HP + MD4 + METZ grip flash) this is one very heavy pup to cart around. I toured around Tasmania (Australia) on my bicycle in 1983 with this very kit bouncing up and down in the handlebar bag! That was all that would fit into the biggest bag available at the time! Talk about adding ballast to the front end!!

—Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Aint that the truth. I think that DSLR’s are the gadget “de jour” at the moment. Give em a few years and there will be an awful lot of second hand digital equipment on the market and not simply because they are obsolete (which they will be….)
    The scary thing is how badly dSLR equipment depreciates. I picked up a KM7d with grip, a ton of batteries and a 35-105 lens for NZD $500 as my 'I don't care if it goes overboard' digital kit for on my sailboat. 3-4 years ago that was (at least) $2500 worth of gear. The cam is still totally useable, but because it's not got a bazillion MP it's essentially worthless.
    Mamiya 645 Super | Nikon F4/F100/FM2n | Minolta Maxxum 9/Dynax 7/X-700/X-500/XD7/SRT-101 | Pentax Spotmatic | Canonet QL 19 (GII) | and a whole bunch of glass

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Sounds a lot of fun to me. As a one-time user of that kit (Nikon F3HP + MD4 + METZ grip flash) this is one very heavy pup to cart around. I toured around Tasmania (Australia) on my bicycle in 1983 with this very kit bouncing up and down in the handlebar bag! That was all that would fit into the biggest bag available at the time! Talk about adding ballast to the front end!!
    It was quite a weight, but it was impressive, and the sound of that motordrive, classic! I used a Metz CT-4, with the Metz nikon adaptor that fitted over the rewing crank, and one unexpected down side was that for vertical shots my nose kept pushing it off the contacts. I don't know if this is a consequence of poor design by Metz or the size of my nose.

Incidentally, a few weeks back someone gave me a nikon D100. Tried it, didn't like it, it's just not the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was quite a weight, but it was impressive, and the sound of that motordrive, classic! I used a Metz CT-4, with the Metz nikon adaptor that fitted over the rewing crank, and one unexpected down side was that for vertical shots my nose kept pushing it off the contacts. I don't know if this is a consequence of poor design by Metz or the size of my nose. [...]
    Yes, I remember clearly the adaptor locking over the rewind crank, which I still consider to be a unique and clever feature for that particular camera. Remember you can always remove the pentaprism on the F3HP if your noggin gets in the way (!). I had many problems handling that beastly combination (additional to carrying it all), chiefly because I have small hands but loved the infamous kerr-clunk of the mirror and the industrial tone of the m-drive. I went from the biggest to the smallest (that being the OM4Ti). Of course, if you needed to scare the living daylights out of others carrying e.g. a tiny OM1n, the F3HP+MD4+Metz was a sure fire way to start a lengthy conversation on "suitable travel cameras", and many an interrogation lasted well beyond the allotted meeting time of the monthly touring club meetings!

—Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I seem to be going in the opposite direction, I started with an OM-1, then moved to F3, and now am up to an RB67. If you REALLY want to scare people, whip out the RB67 with a multi-angle grip and start using that. They seem to think you must be from the radiological protection board.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have 3 F3s, 2 with DE-3s, and 1 with a DE-2. Never considered them to be that heavy or crazy - but I don't use motordrives.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    If you REALLY want to scare people, whip out the RB67 with a multi-angle grip and start using that. They seem to think you must be from the radiological protection board.
    Your post woke up my curiousity and I went to the bay to see prices. A complete RB67 set for about 300$!
    It can be used as a Self defense weapon, too. I seen an RZ67 in display on a shop, and It was a huge!
    It must be heavy and a bit clumsy; but may not really be for my type of photography.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin