Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,235   Online: 845

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: Resurgence?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Back then computers were interesting in their own right, not just because of what they could do, but "how in the world did they work?"

Cars had a similar fascination for me just starting 10-15 years before that and following a similar 30 year curve.

As digitography's shine wears off and people find it's limits I think film photography has the opportunity to find it's feet. That does depend on "us analog geeks" some too, educating our local camera club buddies and the like.
    That's how I started to like vinyls, even though I know how the thing works, it's amazing to see it turning. I can stay 15 mins just looking at the thing turning, it's amazing!
    Also, the old slides that my Father shot back in the late 70's were wonderful. They had somekind of 3D look, specially at the reds. I still have to try slide.

Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    When I lived in Sweden I saw a lot of film cameras on the streets mostly being handled by people under 30. Before that, around 2006-7 in the UK, I had a few people approach me who were quite nasty about film, questioning my reasoning for using it and telling me how their digi camera was 'better' - they were all over 50 or so.
    It's ironic to see how old farts become "digitalibans" and we, the young "peeps", defend the film medium.
    I believe it's curiosity, the medium is different. Digital images aren't on a slide. Film can be. That attracts our attention.
    Last edited by Prest_400; 07-11-2009 at 07:55 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: quote fix

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
    I believe it's curiosity
    I think you're right. I should add that I'm 36 started shooting with film and flirted a little with digital in 2007.

I also think that as digital is so popular, film becomes the 'cool' and 'alternative' option. I know plenty of people in their late teens who think like this; Drop the film off; get the CD; done. Photoshop is for nerds etc.

I have a friend who's started making music mixes on C60 tapes - he sells everything he makes.
    Last edited by perkeleellinen; 07-11-2009 at 08:21 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: whose - who's

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    And for those who grew up in the 1960s and 1970s, album covers were an art genre to themselves.
    Great stuff!
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Ahh, the virtues of the baby boomers. For how positive their contribute has been...
    Hee, hee
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC. Have not seen anyone shooting film in years. But on the 4th of July, Julianne Hough (Country Music performer and 2x Winner of Dancing with the Stars) was performing and one of the "guys allowed near the outdoor stage" was shooting a Canon FT, he was probably close to my age, late 40s.

After the concert I tracked him down to talk. I told him that I had not seen anyone shooting film in years, and that I bet he thought he had the oldest camera at the event. Then I pulled out my 1951 Franka Rolfix, needless to say we had a great conversation about the good old days.

Craig Knapp
    Last edited by cknapp1961; 07-11-2009 at 09:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I keep hearing about the great film comeback; all I can say is, it better get a move on before all the interesting emulsions get discontinued.

I have a friend who's started making music mixes on C60 tapes - he sells everything he makes.
    I like to think that I value a lot of the traditional ways of doing things; film, vinyl etc, but cassette tapes are one thing I don't miss. I was a teenager in the late 70s & must have made hundreds of mix tapes over the years. I'd much rather make one for CD or download, cassettes take too long & are way too fragile.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It's ironic that you bring up cassettes. I recently bought a boombox so that I could play the cassettes that I made in the 1980s.

I've rediscovered "The Wall," by Pink Floyd (never bought it on CD). But I've also listened to some of my mix tapes: "I listened to THAT and liked it?!"
    Last edited by elekm; 07-11-2009 at 10:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Film might make a minor comeback, but that'll be all.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I gotta agree with Jeff.

It's more likely that dedicated digital cameras (i.e. digital devices that are nothing more than a camera) will disappear than film cameras will make any sort of comeback.

Film cameras will always have their enthusiasts as long as film is around but I doubt digital converts will come back in large numbers.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I think you're right. I should add that I'm 36 started shooting with film and flirted a little with digital in 2007.

I also think that as digital is so popular, film becomes the 'cool' and 'alternative' option. I know plenty of people in their late teens who think like this; Drop the film off; get the CD; done. Photoshop is for nerds etc.
    That's right. Most of what you say is why I follow film.
    Film has got grain and it's different, it's like magic. I'm tired of those flat digi images.
    Also, the DSLR I was looking at was an Oly (I followed the history and ended with an OM ) and didn't like the cheaper nikons and canons because everyone had them...

Film was better for my use. It comes out good, no need for photoshop; I don't want to stay all the time editing the heck of the image for HDR the whatever. Negs are HDR. I wanted a durable camera (a DSLR becomes obsolete in a year or two, a film camera still goes well, and IQ is still outstanding.

"And for those who grew up in the 1960s and 1970s, album covers were an art genre to themselves" (can't find the original post, so did this for quote).
    I do agree with the album covers of the good 'ol vynils. So big, and most are amazing.
    That's what I thought when I took the album Hotel california. Nice grainy image. The interior had many surprises, too.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin