Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,505   Posts: 1,543,483   Online: 996

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Resurgence?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by sangetsu View Post
    I also live in Japan, and there is no shortage of people who carry film cameras. Photography is probably the most popular hobby in Japan, and there are countless camera and photography clubs. One of the good sides to this phenomena is that there is a huge amount of film equipment of all types available in the numerous used gear shops.

Nikon of course has the largest following, followed by Canon, and then the rest. There are a few Nikon House stores in Tokyo which carry every imaginable Nikon camera, lens, and accessory, but other shops specialize in rangefinders, medium format, and large format.

Being the nut I am, I visit these stores at least a couple times a month. They sell almost nothing that doesn't use film, and they do a brisk business. I have yet to visit such a shop and not see several other customers there.
    I've lived in Japan for a few years, but in other Asian countries for about 10 years in total, now. So I didn't know that comparatively speaking things were pretty vibrant here. I'm in Nagoya, so there's only really some ma and pa stores here and Top Camera to go to for second hand gear... that I know of so far.
    Film and digital; best of both worlds. JapanesePhotos.Asia.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    In terms of using computers for everything, I tried once writing
    down memories and information I require but after about 10 minutes I stopped, erased it and picked up a moleskine pocket journal, everything I've learned, studied, reviewed, Or thought about concerning
    photography goes in them, I've filled up 6 so far and nothing beats having physical writing in a physical book that won't get deleted.

Shooter
    35mm
    There's a lot of emotion in this thread, and much I can relate to.

But there's a lot of concrete reasons why film kicks ass. I can go on eBay with $100 or $200 and come back with a damn treasure trove of 35mm rangefinders with faster-than-f/2 lenses, Mamiya TLRs, and tack-sharp Minolta Rokkor-X lenses. The rangefinder is quieter, quicker, and shoots in lower light than any compact digi (load up Neopan 1600 in it and, if you can see it, you can shoot it), the Mamiya TLR gives better quality than any DSLR, and the Rokkor-X lenses give L glass a run for its money. Plus, I don't have to worry about my sensor being shit, or having poor dynamic range, or lots of noise... I can just buy a different film and see what suits me.

Film is just more fun, especially if you enjoy the process at ALL. I'm way more excited carrying Neopan 1600, Tri-X, Efke 25, Ektar 100 and Superia 400 than a digital because there's just so many possibilities there. Don't even get me started on doing your own developing and the flexibility there!

Shooter
    35mm
    Last month I was in England for a week. My wife and son had digital p&s cameras. I had a Konica FT-1 with six lenses. I shot nine rolls of slide film and about five rolls of print film. The whole time I was there the only other person I saw with a film camera was someone with a disposable camera at Windsor Castle. What about Stonehenge, the London Eye, Big Ben, the Gherkin building, a boat ride on the Thames, Picadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, the Tower Of London, the Royal Gardens at Kew, the Tower Bridge, St. Paul's church, Winchester Cathedral, Buckingham Palace? No film cameras in sight.

Shooter
    35mm
    This week I got the following in for repair: (2) OM-1, OM-1N, OM-3, (2) OM-4Ti, 35sp. People still love their OMs. John

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dynachrome View Post
    Last month I was in England for a week. My wife and son had digital p&s cameras. I had a Konica FT-1 with six lenses. I shot nine rolls of slide film and about five rolls of print film. The whole time I was there the only other person I saw with a film camera was someone with a disposable camera at Windsor Castle. What about Stonehenge, the London Eye, Big Ben, the Gherkin building, a boat ride on the Thames, Picadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, the Tower Of London, the Royal Gardens at Kew, the Tower Bridge, St. Paul's church, Winchester Cathedral, Buckingham Palace? No film cameras in sight.

Could be mixing with tourists...eh

But I don't see many people with film cameras anymore.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winjeel View Post
    For the last few years, here in Japan I've seen more and more digital cameras, mobile phone cameras, and more digital point and shoots. However, in the last two weeks, I've seen a few film SLR's about, and all, so far, are Nikons.
    I just got back from a local camera shop this afternoon (I live in Japan.) Barnack Leicas are sadly no longer selling- a few camera shops have told me that. Indeed I saw a III and IIIa today for around $250- a few years ago they would have been at least $800 if not more. I saw two M3s for less than $800 (not the best condition, but working) and a beautiful M2 for around $1000. Even a year or so ago, a nice M3 was $1500 ...

A friend and I saw a Canon EOS-1(?) used for $300. Contax G series cameras are dirt cheap, as are the lenses. I got an sparking-clean Plannar 45/2 for $100 :o

Nikon RF gear is still stupidly expensive: very clean S3s and SPs for $2000 or more. Canon RF gear can't be given away

In a few conversations with camera dealers I was told that prices have really come down recently. Now is the time to buy, I guess

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by IloveTLRs View Post
    I just got back from a local camera shop this afternoon (I live in Japan.) Barnack Leicas are sadly no longer selling- a few camera shops have told me that. Indeed I saw a III and IIIa today for around $250- a few years ago they would have been at least $800 if not more. I saw two M3s for less than $800 (not the best condition, but working) and a beautiful M2 for around $1000. Even a year or so ago, a nice M3 was $1500 ...

A friend and I saw a Canon EOS-1(?) used for $300. Contax G series cameras are dirt cheap, as are the lenses. I got an sparking-clean Plannar 45/2 for $100 :o

Nikon RF gear is still stupidly expensive: very clean S3s and SPs for $2000 or more. Canon RF gear can't be given away

In a few conversations with camera dealers I was told that prices have really come down recently. Now is the time to buy, I guess
    It sounds like the Japanese have finally stopped buying camera equipment to decorate their bookshelves. This can only help us.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post

Things went from reliable, reusable, and serviceable to plastic, disposable, and planned obsolescence as the norm. It's been like that almost ever since.

About the only thing that remains serviceable these days are cars, bicycles, and anything inherently mechanized. With the age of the modern semiconductor, many many things changed - and not all for the better.

Original reference:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nycdrinkup/3695955603/

Good morning, Clayne;

It is nice to see that someone still thinks that cars are repairable. I can agree with you to a degree or limit.

In my experience in recent years, the automobile mechanics seem to be favoring "modular replacement" rather than "repair." If the field brushes in your alternator wear down, they replace the entire alternator; they do not repair the problem.

I admit that being an automobile "mechanic" is really not truly accurate with the modern cars. Now it seems that you must find an electronics technician with mechanical aptitude to keep the modern electronic whiz-bang carriages operational.

This concept of modular replacement is not limited to cars. In the traffic signal maintenance community, the trend seems to have become to favor modular replacement also, up to the point where entire repairable controllers using plug-in printed circuit boards are being thrown out, due in part to the recent technician's lack of understanding of why the controller works. I would have thought that they would at least try plugging in a spare printed circuit board, but the concept of "maintenance" seems to have achieved an unfathomable nadir.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ralph,

What it feels like to me is a war on the "craftsman." Big business knows it costs money to employ people who have to use a brain to resolve issues. Rather than employ craftspeople and REAL technicians/engineers, they'd much rather pay cut-rate prices for robots to go out and swap things out. The heap of trash following it costs less to deal with than repairing things the "old" way.

Sad world.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin