Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,364   Posts: 1,682,906   Online: 769

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Resurgence?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Interesting thread.

Yes, I can see the lack of new hardware becoming a problem (I second the thought above. I really wish someone like Sony would make a Film SLR, that is manual focus but took Minolta AF lenses), but as long as companies such as Ilford still make materials, there will always be an interest at the high amateur level.
    There must be plenty of Dynax (Maxxum) 9 's to be had on the used market. I cannot see how Sony could improve on that camera. They are build like a tank and must have loads of service left in them....

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naaldvoerder View Post
    They are build like a tank and must have loads of service left in them....
    Otherwise known as a modern manufacturer's worse nightmare.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Otherwise known as a modern manufacturer's worse nightmare.
    Grrrr... I've got a lot to say on this, and so little time to say it before my patience runs out. I bought a (oops, I'm going to write it out loud), err... I bought a... a... [gulp] Konica Minolta Alpha Sweet digital camera three years ago. It was a wonderful little thing... until it died two weeks ago, survived by both the Seagull (film of 16 years loyal service) and the Minolta 303 (9 years of loyal service). My only gripe with digital is that they need to be upgraded or replaced every few years; whilst my main gripe with film is the cost of, well, film. With regards to volume and speed, digital is great; with regards to (especially for me) black and white, film reins supreme. With regards to reliability, I wish I could have spent my money on an Alpha 7 (film) instead of replacing the dead digital beast in my kit bag. Grrr Sorry, I've been complaining, whining, and moaning about this very issue for the last two weeks.
    Film and digital; best of both worlds. JapanesePhotos.Asia.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the "resurgence" discussed here is known in other circles as a "dead cat bounce".
    Last edited by BetterSense; 08-10-2009 at 02:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I think the "resurgence" discussed here is known in other circles as a "dead cat bounce".
    Does that imply, then, that we've reached bottom?
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Why am I not surprised to see you enjoying that comment? I've brought it up before, but I really don't get you or your motivations. You seem to enjoy this while the rest of us just want to shoot analog and not have any issues doing it.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by winjeel View Post
    I'm not sure if I already said this (9 pages of thread is a lot). I did do some night photography, long exposures of 20mins plus, all because digital cameras cannot do it, at least the Sony / Minolta's cannot, and I assume the same with Nikons; they get a pink haze in one corner of the image form, and I have no idea why.
    That's the sensor heating up.
    There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Only just found this thread and must confess to not reading my way through all off it.

But in responce to Winjeels starting post this may interest some of you.

Nicked from another forum

http://tokyocamerastyle.com/
    Stack of 35mm stuff, some 120 stuff and lots of other junk to make it work

Keep it simple. ~ Alfred Eisenstaedt

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    You might, however, see new analog film cameras offered after dedicated digital film cameras are no longer available.
    I can't see that happening except, perhaps, on the high end. The budget and middle markets have gone digital to stay and the only viable film product on those levels seems to be the disposable. Even on the high end, where quality film bodies are still being made, digital's share is in the high 90s. I see the gradual trickle down of full frame sensors into budget DSLRs and the movement of the 4:3 and APS "C" sized sensors into the more pocketable cameras. P & S sized sensors will be relegated, I hope, to the minis and toy camera market.

While I use digital I won't be giving up my T90 or Nikon film cameras until I can no longer buy film.

Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    Encroachment by smart phones, a transition to frame capture from video and a decline in disposable income around the world could really catalyze that process, too.
    Yes, the consumer is often willing to accept lower quality in favor of convenience. This means the marketers have done their jobs and stoked the fires of rampant consumerism to new heights.

On one of the other photography boards there is a recent posting wherein the OP is touting the quality of the camera in his new iPhone. He posted several example pictures. While I will admit they are better than your average cellular camera pictures they are worse than one would get from even the cheapest P&S digital. Yet the thread is full of ohs and ahs over the pictures with nary a negative comment or even an observation, save mine, of the low relative quality of the pictures. It's difficult to express an observation on most boards these days without starting a flame war. People ask for opinions then get all bent when some don't agree with theirs. They don't really want opinion, they want a confirmation.
    Last edited by djohnfot; 08-11-2009 at 10:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    http://www.red.com/cameras/ I thought that maybe there would always be a place for film until i read this.When this technology seeps down to the mass market i just can't see any purpose in maintaing a film based system in my workplace.... since christmas i've been working with a full frame 24mpl dslr and i have been printing with an epson 4880. sorry guys,for me 35mm is finished. I still use mf but mainly for personal projects, To be quite honest, i really don't need to have a film camera around at all. Oh, rangefinders are the exception .....wouldn't part with mine for anything....grin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin