Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,571   Online: 965

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Resurgence?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Clayne, I would agree with you there. I believe we could all point out these instances in our line of work. Since I deal with health - did you see the latest in the news about Americans and Anti-depressants? We're up to 27million folks buying 194 million prescriptions for this crap to the tune of $9 billion every year! That's 1 out of every 10 people you see driving by...on anti-depressant drugs. Why fix up their (apparently lacking) life when they can just pop a pill? This quick-fix mentality drives me crazy.
    It's only when the pills "quit working" that they realize they need to look at CAUSE and EFFECT and that's when I see them.

It seems so similar in every aspect of our modern society. I remember a few years back, I had a lovely Maxxum 7. It had an incident and needed a rear control wheel servicing. Would have cost more to fix it than buy a new camera! I believe it was at that point that I remembered the simplicity and wonderful feel of the old manual Minolta bodies. I now shoot with an XD-11 & Rokkor glass again, and I'm loving it. :-)
    Jed

Shooter
    35mm
    I was down Portsmouth Historic Naval Dockyard last weekend and saw two other people using film cameras. Everyone else was digital with around a 70/30 split between compacts & DSLR's. I didn't get any strange looks walking around with my Nikon F3 & bag of primes. If anyone had came up to me extolling the superiority of digital, my answer would have been something along the lines of "It gets worse, not only am I using film, I am shooting Kodachrome 64 which is going to have to be sent to the other side of the World to get developed" and see what the answer to that would have been

Am planning to go into London soon with my Nikon F and Eyelevel finder and invite some strange looks whilst I am taking readings with my lightmeter

It's my hobby & I can do it the way I want. I do have a digital compact and it serves a purpose, but for fun, film & an old manual focus camera is my choice.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not sure if I already said this (9 pages of thread is a lot). I did do some night photography, long exposures of 20mins plus, all because digital cameras cannot do it, at least the Sony / Minolta's cannot, and I assume the same with Nikons; they get a pink haze in one corner of the image form, and I have no idea why. It happens at iso3200 and even at iso100. So, I went shooting fireflies, and found a guy with his Nikon film (not sure which model) doing the same thing. Apparently he said that digital couldn't do what he wanted, either. Since my Japanese isn't that good, that's all I understood.

The other day I saw a 5mp scanner for 14,000 yen (about USD$150). The mega pixel count isn't high, but for showing on places like Photo.Net it's plenty. But, if you did get your negetives scanned for professional online delivery (say, via PhotoShelter), what would be the maximum file sizes you might expect?
    Film and digital; best of both worlds. JapanesePhotos.Asia.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Interesting thread.

Yes, I can see the lack of new hardware becoming a problem (I second the thought above. I really wish someone like Sony would make a Film SLR, that is manual focus but took Minolta AF lenses), but as long as companies such as Ilford still make materials, there will always be an interest at the high amateur level.
    There must be plenty of Dynax (Maxxum) 9 's to be had on the used market. I cannot see how Sony could improve on that camera. They are build like a tank and must have loads of service left in them....

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naaldvoerder View Post
    They are build like a tank and must have loads of service left in them....
    Otherwise known as a modern manufacturer's worse nightmare.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Otherwise known as a modern manufacturer's worse nightmare.
    Grrrr... I've got a lot to say on this, and so little time to say it before my patience runs out. I bought a (oops, I'm going to write it out loud), err... I bought a... a... [gulp] Konica Minolta Alpha Sweet digital camera three years ago. It was a wonderful little thing... until it died two weeks ago, survived by both the Seagull (film of 16 years loyal service) and the Minolta 303 (9 years of loyal service). My only gripe with digital is that they need to be upgraded or replaced every few years; whilst my main gripe with film is the cost of, well, film. With regards to volume and speed, digital is great; with regards to (especially for me) black and white, film reins supreme. With regards to reliability, I wish I could have spent my money on an Alpha 7 (film) instead of replacing the dead digital beast in my kit bag. Grrr Sorry, I've been complaining, whining, and moaning about this very issue for the last two weeks.
    Film and digital; best of both worlds. JapanesePhotos.Asia.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the "resurgence" discussed here is known in other circles as a "dead cat bounce".
    Last edited by BetterSense; 08-10-2009 at 03:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I think the "resurgence" discussed here is know in other circles as a "dead cat bounce".
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I think the "resurgence" discussed here is known in other circles as a "dead cat bounce".
    Does that imply, then, that we've reached bottom?
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Why am I not surprised to see you enjoying that comment? I've brought it up before, but I really don't get you or your motivations. You seem to enjoy this while the rest of us just want to shoot analog and not have any issues doing it.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin