Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,403   Online: 788

Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Resurgence?

Shooter
    35mm

Resurgence?

For the last few years, here in Japan I've seen more and more digital cameras, mobile phone cameras, and more digital point and shoots. However, in the last two weeks, I've seen a few film SLR's about, and all, so far, are Nikons.
    Film and digital; best of both worlds. JapanesePhotos.Asia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    On a grand scale my digital infatuation (not digitography but computers themselves) started almost exactly 30 years ago. Back then computers were interesting in their own right, not just because of what they could do, but "how in the world did they work?"

Cars had a similar fascination for me just starting 10-15 years before that and following a similar 30 year curve.

"In the beginning" both required constant thought and maintenance, today not so much.

Over the last few years I've seen sales people, webmasters, and programmers going back to paper calendars and address books, because "paper and pens; don't crash, don't distract you with incoming messages, and don't need to boot in the client's office".

Prints have similar attributes, the cactus flowers one of my work buddies showed me a snap of on his cell phone yesterday were, how shall I put this, a bit small. They looked fine to him be cause he saw the original scene and the snap was just a memory trigger.

I'm starting to here people ask for simple cell phones that do nothing but make calls and last ten years. (I believe that right now Mattel or Hasbro might be able to build a better phone than Motorola or Nokia because it would be simple and it would be designed to survive dropping it or dunking it in milk without ruining it.)

Personally I think that the world is starting to find the limits of digital stuff in general, much like I've found the limits of autos. I won't give up electronic ignition to go back to points & condensers, but I don't drive just to drive anymore either.

As digitography's shine wears off and people find it's limits I think film photography has the opportunity to find it's feet. That does depend on "us analog geeks" some too, educating our local camera club buddies and the like.
    Last edited by markbarendt; 07-11-2009 at 06:49 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Hit the wrong bloody button before I was done.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Mark, that was an excellent observation.

I particularly agree with the comment about paper calendars and address books. They're fast, simple and you can slip them into a pocket without fear of destroying several hundred dollars because you sat down. You can jot down a quick note without having to tab through fields, erase things or scratch out a note.

Technology certainly is here to stay, but that doesn't mean that all things can or should become digitized.

It's also interesting to note the resurgence of vinyl (records/albums). I spoke with the clerk at a Barnes & Noble, and he said that the buyers are mostly younger folks.

Us older geezers (40's and 50's) moved to CDs en masse because the CDs are smaller, somewhat more durable and cleaner. However, there's always been a debate whether the sound of a CD is too antiseptic. And for those who grew up in the 1960s and 1970s, album covers were an art genre to themselves. CD covers pale in comparison, and my eyesight simply isn't up to reading the tiny text on some of the CD inserts.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    As digitography's shine wears off and people find it's limits I think film photography has the opportunity to find it's feet. That does depend on "us analog geeks" some too, educating our local camera club buddies and the like.
    Mark great observations. I can definitely identify as my interests are somewhat similar to yours (with another obvious similar interest as we're both on this site).

Earlier today I had a bit of agro session spurred by the NPZ discontinuance that I posted some related thoughts on technology in general, as flickr comments.

Warning it's a rant in nature, but I don't think my observations are completely unfounded or ridiculous.

"Well, I'll deal with it. You won't see me buying a D700 or anything of that nature anytime soon.

It's actually sad to be part of a generation seeing something special and unique going away in some sense (don't worry it'll still be here for quite some time) - while a newer, younger generation brought up on disposable technology and raised by the semiconductor embraces the idea that it's "old bullshit no one would want to use."

I hate what the major camera manufacturers have become and I'm not going to be forced into the electronic obsolescence game that digital cameras represent these days. There will always be more megapixels, more features, and more technological bullshit that contributes more to sales figures and upgrade mentality rather than photography itself.

I'll take Tri-X and my METAL film cameras to the grave.

I tend to think there was a point of change, in the way manufacturers approached their products and customers, in the 80s and beyond.

Things went from reliable, reusable, and serviceable to plastic, disposable, and planned obsolescence as the norm. It's been like that almost ever since.

About the only thing that remains serviceable these days are cars, bicycles, and anything inherently mechanized. With the age of the modern semiconductor, many many things changed - and not all for the better.

There's no free lunch to non-serviceable products and the march of technology also means a gross dependence on it in the long run, not to mention the huge amount of waste things directly and indirectly create from point of manufacture to the when the customers throws it in the dump and "upgrades."

I'm not saying there haven't been good technologies put forth, but for all of the song and dance things receive, a lot of natural requirements haven't really been changing that much.

It seems for all the upgrading of everything under the sun we've done in recent decades, societal relations and the concept of community itself has actually declined! Guess they can't fix that with technology, right? But boy can they sure sell me a product!"

Original reference:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nycdrinkup/3695955603/
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I see none. I was at a festival today and though another APUG member was there, I was the only one I saw shooting film. Everyone else was holding Nikon and Canon DLSR cameras with huge lenses, shooting portraits from afar. A lady in one of the tents said "Is that a real camera!" when she saw me shooting with my AE-1 and told me how pleased she was to see somebody shooting film. It made her day and mine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last event I was at in SF (Carnaval) I must have seen atleast 10 film cameras (not counting our own), half of which were TLRs. Even had one of our acquaintances shooting street hand-held with a 4x5.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't see many people with cameras at all - I live in a small rural village. But what I have noticed is people are far more interested in film photography and far less nasty. Last week a guy came up to me as I was loading my camera and started talking to me about how much his wife loves the film 'look'. I told him I like the simplicity of the cameras a lot. It was a nice discussion and he seemed genuinely interested.

When I lived in Sweden I saw a lot of film cameras on the streets mostly being handled by people under 30. Before that, around 2006-7 in the UK, I had a few people approach me who were quite nasty about film, questioning my reasoning for using it and telling me how their digi camera was 'better' - they were all over 50 or so.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    I had a few people approach me who were quite nasty about film, questioning my reasoning for using it and telling me how their digi camera was 'better' - they were all over 50 or so.
    I too get the negatives from older people.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Krzys View Post
    I too get the negatives from older people.
    Ahh, the virtues of the baby boomers. For how positive their contribute has been...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There was this feeling that if you didn't "go digital," then you were a loser. I'm glad to hear that this has subsided.

I was chatting yesterday with my work colleague. She just bought a Canon G10. I was thinking that if you had bought every version of that camera, which many have done, then you would have spent about $7,000 -- on what is basically an advanced P&S. It seems to be a well-built camera. But I think that I'll finish work on this little Olympus 35 ED.

Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin