Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,291   Online: 940

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Was there ever any such thing as a fully microprism focusing screen?

I notice that I use the microprism donut on my MF cameras more often than I use the split-image prism in the center. I would probably like a focusing screen that ditches the split-image prism and fills in the space with more micro-prism. But then I was thinking that it might actually be pretty cool to have a focusing screen that was completely micro-prism. Then only objects that were in focus would be clear and everything else would be all well, micro-prism'd. Has there ever been such a focusing screen available?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon had one for the F3, screen H. At least according to this site:

http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/har...eens/index.htm

Apparently there were four different screens to correspond with different lens focal lengths.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've never heard of a full screen micro prism but I've shot with a camera - a Pentax of 1980s vintage I think - that had no split image, just a circle of micro prism in teh center of the screen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Leicaflex SL.

Though outside the centre, the microprisms are extremely fine so that the image looks normal, but you still get enough microprism effect for focusing.

There's a reason why that's my absolutely favourite camera for difficult focusing situations and long teles...

Yes, also the Nikon H screen (I use one on an F & F2), but it's nowhere as good as the Leicaflex's, and you need to compensate the exposure and sometimes screen type with each lens (a real PITA).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think my old Zenit TTL has a full microprism centre circle, I'll have to dig it out and check.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen View Post
    Nikon had one for the F3, screen H. At least according to this site:

http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/har...eens/index.htm

Apparently there were four different screens to correspond with different lens focal lengths.
    I use an H2 as my standard screen. It works very well
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure but I think there is one for the Canon FD system.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Leica SL and R3 through R7 cameras all had a either rough microprism or split image + rough microprism rings at the center, with the rest of the screen being fine microprisms. There were also "all microprism" screens available for models with interchangeable screens. I'm not sure about the R8 and R9 stock screen main field, which are written up as ground glass outside the central area, but they also had an all microprism screen available.

The fine microprisms snap in and out of focus much more obviously than ground glass.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Nikon F had one and it was not my first choice and I ever hardly used the one I had. I purchased it for long lenses with small apertures and althoug it did somehwat brighten the image I believe there were other problems like vingetting but it was 40 years ago so don't quote me. It also renderd the FTN finder inaccurate.-Dick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by budrichard View Post
    Nikon F had one and it was not my first choice and I ever hardly used the one I had. I purchased it for long lenses with small apertures and althoug it did somehwat brighten the image I believe there were other problems like vingetting but it was 40 years ago so don't quote me. It also renderd the FTN finder inaccurate.-Dick
    Ehmmmm... Exactly the reasons for the previously mentioned need with the Nikon H screens to adapt the exposure and (sometimes) screen type according to the lens used
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin