Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,775   Online: 765

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    All I can say it that the XA is the best (without doubt) 35mm camera ever made.

A Fan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Great shots with that little camera !
    Very well done !

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm going to take a bit of a contrarian view. Despite the overall quality of the shoot (I agree with archphoto - great shots with that little camera), including my favorite shot - http://www.flickr.com/photos/3932469...7621340630964/ , there are some shots that clearly demonstrate the limitations of the XA's metering (generally shots in front of a bright window). And we really can't fully evaluate based on a computer screen image.

I'm not knocking the XA; I had one for many years. You clearly used the XA's capability to the max and deserve credit for that. You can be proud of the results. But I do think you would have been better served with a more capable metering system than the XA provides. Whether that would have added an unnecessary level of complexity and stifled creativity only you can answer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I do believe I would have taken better photos with my Leica and Pentax Spotmeter, though my lens wasn't adjusted properly for focusing (Jupiter 8) so I did not trust it to give me perfect focus. I'll use the Leica on the next shoot I have (as soon as the lens comes back from a CLA) and compare the results!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not a bad one in the bunch!

Shooter
    35mm

Lukewarm on the XA

I know the XA has a pretty dedicated following, and one man's trash is another's treasure and all that, but I was never crazy about the XA.

I picked up a used one a few years ago, and promptly went out and shot the aftermath of a blizzard with it. Most photos were white on white. The metering was fine, but there was a noticeable color shift from neutral to warm from the center of the photos to the edges. it was very consistent and noticeable in every picture. It probably wouldnt be such a big deal if the subjects were not white on white, but I found it annoying and have hardly used my XA since.

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this with the XA?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes.

The lens is well known for vignetting.
    In your case, the vignetting was accompanied by a colour shift. Which could be a film and/or processing issue.

The XA is still a great little camera though. I have a few and used them with great pleasure until i stopped using 35 mm format.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    I do believe I would have taken better photos with my Leica [...]
    The XA is great, but has it's limitations.

Your Leica has too.
    But in your case, that's mainly because you do not put a proper lens on it!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    The XA is great, but has it's limitations.

Your Leica has too.
    But in your case, that's mainly because you do not put a proper lens on it!
    The jupiter-8 is a awesome lens! Much better than most of the Leica brand screwmount lenses :P Just needs a little shimming!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin