Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,013   Online: 704

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Simple, dopey rule of thumb:
    • 50mm - one eye open
    • 35mm both eyesopen
    I spent a couple of weeks years ago training myself to know the lens field "naturally" -- that is, to look at something without finder or camera and think "from here that part of my visual field fits an 85mm" (or alternatively, "to get this shot with the lens I have mounted, I'll need to stand over... there").

It wasn't hard, and is a skill that has stuck and served me well. Kind of like musical pitch training, I guess.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It depends with lense your focusing through. at the time That is the closest to your human eye the lenses left in your camera are further and the ones left at homes are the firthest from the human eye. unless someone at home is standing closer to those lenses than you are to yours.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This post made me think about the lenses I find my self using most of the time and it was interesting to me. For 35mm I tend to use the 85mm the most, for medium format I use the 80mm, and for 4x5 I use the 105mm or 135mm most. I just thought it was interesting that the larger my film format gets, the wider my lens choice gets, but that they stay between the 80mm to 135mm range for the most part.

Does anyone else find themself doing this when switching between film formats?

Neal, I think you might be on to something.

fingel - I tend to much the same as you (85mm on 35, 105mm on 6x6, and 125mm on 4x5). I have always felt that I do it because of what I mostly shoot with each format. More people with 35mm and more scenics with 4x5. The 105mm on 6x6 just cause it is my best lens in that format.

Bob

Images
    Fingel,
    That really is an interesting observation.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always heard it said that the 50-60mm lens (all 35mm format) approximates the part of vision that you mentally 'focus' or concentrate on, the 35mm lens approximates what you just 'see' in a glance, and the 21-24mm is about what your visual field will cover with peripheral vision. Personally, if you held a gun to my head and told me I could have only one lens (and my wife would probably reward you for this) I would carry a fast 35mm lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Then again, who cares about the perspective of normal humans. Boring!

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    good point Bjorke.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BobF
    fingel - I tend to much the same as you (85mm on 35, 105mm on 6x6, and 125mm on 4x5). I have always felt that I do it because of what I mostly shoot with each format. More people with 35mm and more scenics with 4x5. The 105mm on 6x6 just cause it is my best lens in that format.

Bob
    So there's someone else like this! Actually, I think this is probably how it is for a lot of people. On 35mm, I sort of noodle between 50mm and 85mm. On 645 it's 80mm. 6x7, it's 180mm. 4x5, it's 210mm. 8x10, it's 240mm. Each lens just seems to be most appropriate to how I use and see with each particular format. I'll go ahead and take this as further indication that there is no one particiular focal length lens that corresponds most to human vision. Others have provided plenty of scientific-type evidence. The subjective evidence is just as compelling, though. My ultimate conclusion? It doesn't matter! Exactly what you wanted to hear, I'm sure! XD

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've always found so called "normal" lenses to be boring as well. My preferred lens was 35 mm when I used 35 mm. It was 50 mm with 645. It is 120 with 4X5 and 210 with 8X10. There was a time that I went to the short telephoto route but that only lasted a short while.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin