Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,544   Online: 1125

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find a 55mm on the 6x12 format "about right."
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

i think that any one will give here a very good argument why this or that focal is normal or normal to him, and that is fine.
    we should not forget, that though many scientific reasons can be found for calling one or other focal normal - in practice - the normality is or mental disposition. almost every lense which is not extrimly wide or extrimly long will give some character of "normality".
    victor

Shooter
    Multi Format

Lenses and the human eye

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    I have always heard that the 35 mm lens is the one closest to the human eye.

lee\c
    I believe the nearest photographic lens to render natural perspective ( a standard lens for 35mm) would have a focal length of about 45mm, the diagonal measurement of the 24x36 dimentions of a 35mm negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    According to an article that I read the closest approximation to the perspective seen by the human eye is achieved by Minox 8x11 format cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Per a previous poster... for portraiture an Hispanic would find the 28mm "normal" while an Asian may find it to be a 200mm It's all about personal space (all said in good humour... hmm, I think my personal portraiture lens perspective lies in the 85mm range)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    42mm for 35mm film.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Images
    I once read an article where they went back and photographed landscapes that were painted by classical painters and they found that the perspectives, the size relationships of near and distant objects, was best replicated using a 135mm lens. Of course field of vision would have been different.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Let's ask an idle question, then: for those of you who wear eyeglasses, do you prefer a longer or shorter lens? My peripheral vision is bad, so I find that a 55 on 35mm or 210 on 4x5 looks like my normal field of view. (Otoh, personally I prefer a somewhat wider lens for composition)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    I once read an article where they went back and photographed landscapes that were painted by classical painters and they found that the perspectives, the size relationships of near and distant objects, was best replicated using a 135mm lens. Of course field of vision would have been different.
    That makes sense. If you note how painters measure for scale (stick your paintbrush and thumb in front of the scene), note how it encourages a narrow view. Perspectivists had similar constraints.

I think the natural human being sees at about 35mm ( on a 35mm). But that is sort our field of vision.

However when we look at something, we tune out the peripherals and zoom in on our subject matter or what caught our attention.

So if we are overlooking a valley we have sort of a panoramic view but when something catches our eye we zoom.

In martial arts there is a state in which you look and see everything ( an opponent or opponents) and look at nothing. That's a pretty wide angle. If we were to look at something, our attention would be directed there and we could be caught off guard.

In photography we are constantly zooming in and finding our subject matter, so we have a pretty cool zoom lens with a low f stop.

That's my take.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin