Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,019   Online: 774

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Olympus om1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have every reason to be excited about the camera, it’s an asset, though the comments by Matt are valid.

My first OM1 bought in 1978 is still going strong, and has been reliable. Previous comments regarding size and location of controls are valid of course, but it’s a matter of personal preference and familiarity with the instrument. On a personal note, way back in 1979 I was involved in a car accident, the OM1 was hanging around my neck, as the car struck a bank of sand after spinning, inertia sent it forward, reaching the end of its tether it returned and struck me on the cheek, I still carry the scar!

Regards
    Charles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Olympus OM System is one of the greatests of all time. It actually revolutionize 35mm photography in its time. Size and metering. Astronomers love the Olympus OM-1. I have around 10. 2 M-1 among them. 5.000 were made before Leica complained and Olympus then changed to OM-1

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think an important point is not just the positive notes from users; but also the number of people who expressed regret after having parted with theirs.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't express regret because I haven't parted with any; of which I'm glad.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Agree with Pumalite.

Bought mine (OM-1n MD) new in 1979 in Iwakuni, Japan.

At the time, the Asahi Pentax ME was very close in size, but I loved being able to control focus & exposure with one hand.

Still going strong.

Best of all (since it's discontinued); I can now afford the glass that I couldn't (whenIwasmakingthefreeworldsafefordemocracyaswekno witfor$99amonth).

Later, Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c96mauser View Post
    Agree with Pumalite.

Bought mine (OM-1n MD) new in 1979 in Iwakuni, Japan.

At the time, the Asahi Pentax ME was very close in size, but I loved being able to control focus & exposure with one hand.

Still going strong.

Best of all (since it's discontinued); I can now afford the glass that I couldn't (whenIwasmakingthefreeworldsafefordemocracyaswekno witfor$99amonth).

Later, Bill
    Were you making it safe with your 7.63mm Mauser pistol????
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    I've never seen a more fiddly film rewind button,
    Steve
    It's way better than the one on th Canon f1N. I dont mind it one bit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Were you making it safe with your 7.63mm Mauser pistol????
    Or was it that 1911 Colt?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The OM is a great camera, anyone who does not have one should be deleted. Opps wrong thread. Nevermind.

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=thisispants;829008]Hi...just wondering what the general feeling towards om1's here is? I'm still new to photography and am really enjoying using film. I bought an om10 off ebay a while a go and while it's good, certain things like the battery operated shutter are pretty annoying.... ive ruined some shots by having the shutter freeze and made to rookie mistake of not having spare battries.

OM-10 is not a good OM to start with, it is several steps down from an OM-1/2. OM-10 was entry level with cut features introduced at the same time as the all-plastic canon AV-1 and the Nikon EM. ALL had problems and gathered a lot of haters. OM-1, all metal, mechanical speeds, excellent camera to learn on. problem now is that you will buy a used one (up to 35 years old) that has never been serviced, it may not perform correctly and it'll give you a bad feeling about Olympus. John

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin