Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,217   Online: 1043

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shopping for a F1

Right after I purchased a 1.2 55mm FL Canon lens my AE-1 decide to start tripping the curtain. So I am not being forced to shop for a replacement and was looking at the Canon F1. I decided to go with the latest newest model of the F1 (F1-NEW) for the battery compatibility, since I am afraid the other two older models use 1.3volts. At this point I found two of them, but one comes with the AE FINDER and the other comes with the STANDARD PRISM. Can someone explain the difference between the two. Camera prices are exactly the same.

Sincerely,

Jaime.
    "Art is a lie that enables us to tell the truth" -Picasso
    http://www.jaimebermudez.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The other two don't use a battery at all, unless you want to use the reflected light meter inside the camera.

Standard prism is just like your AE-1. AE means auto exposure.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an older F1 and never had problems finding batteries for it.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    The other two don't use a battery at all, unless you want to use the reflected light meter inside the camera.

Standard prism is just like your AE-1. AE means auto exposure.
    I am not that good figuring out exposures yet, so an inside meeter helps a lot for me.
    "Art is a lie that enables us to tell the truth" -Picasso
    http://www.jaimebermudez.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The AE Finder FN makes your 'New' F-1 a camera with Aperture Priority AND Shutter Priority. I have 2. One with the Finder in question and the other with a Winder. Both accomplish the same thing. They are built like tanks. I love them.
    Last edited by Pumal; 07-16-2009 at 03:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have both finders and a FN winder. Mine is the second version of the F1. 1981 The last year of producing the mechanical version. The battery I use is a 1.4 volt hearing aid battery. I have been "Googgling" information and I found you can safely use a 1.4 volt battery without recalibrating the meter. The battery that has been mentioned comes in the usual 10-15 packs so I have batteries to last me a few decades as only the meter needs battery power. It is clearly the best camera I own (12) Pun intended

Shooter
    35mm
    If you intend to make use of the F-1N's aperture priority auto exposure mode, you will need the AE finder if you want to know the shutter speed selected by the camera. If you want shutter priority auto exposure, you must have the AE Motor Drive FN or the AE Power Winder FN attached. In shutter priority AE mode, both of the finders display the aperture selected in the viewfinder. Essentially, think of the AE Finder FN as the standard finder plus a shutter speed scale for Aperture Priority AE.

Shooter
    35mm
    Any of you have much experience with the Nikon F2A or AS? I'm curious about the Canon F-1 and wonder about your general impressions of how they compare. I have Nikkor lenses, but my girlfriend has an AE-1 and lenses I assume the F-1 can use. Sorry for the hijack+vague query.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Didnt have any luck with the AE-1 eh?

The F1 New with the standard prism will allow for Aperture Priority exposure. However it will not show you what shutter speed is selected unless you have the ae prism. With the winder attached, you can get shutter priority.
    morfe info here:
    here

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I love my F1 for a couple of reasons. First, it takes great pictures, and second, FD lenses are plentiful and cheap. Compared to a Nikon F2 (which I also have had), I find the F1 to be simpler and easier to operate. My F1 is the old type, batteries are still available for it here in Japan, or they can be found on ebay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin