Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,221   Posts: 1,532,332   Online: 1097

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I love my Nikkormat and the only thing keeping me from using it more is that I now where glasses. The eye peice ring scratches them.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    THE camera.

Built like a brick you-know-what. Very simple and straightforward with only the 4 basic things to set: film speed, shutter speed, aperture and focus -- nothing else to get in the way.

I got a new FT2 with a 50/2.0 non-AI back in 1974 when I was a kid. Wow - I took great photographs with that camera for 20 years until it got stolen. Just bought an FT3 about a year ago along with a 50/1.8 AI.

I have 2 other film cameras and would put up a decent fight before giving them up, but the FT3 you will have to pry it out of my cold fingers.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tessar View Post
    My FT3 has been working fine with an increasing number of lenses since I bought it new in 1977. I was lucky without knowing it -- the FT3 was the first Nikkormat model that took the easy-to-find #76 silver-oxide cells. The meters in the previous models took the now illegal #625 mercury batteries.
    Pretty sure you could use the non-Mercury battery in the FT2 as well.

My FT2 has an LR44 in it right now.

Shooter
    35mm
    My first SLR was a Nikkormat FT2, which is what I still use. I don't really have access to a scanner, so I can't submit anything, but it is in surprisingly good condition, even after 30-something years!

Shooter
    35mm
    Good point Tessar. Thinking back, that's one of the reasons I chose the FT3, as well as it's compatibility with AI, AIS and non-AI lenses. It will even work with AF lenses, as long as their not G series. I used it with my 20-35mm f2.8 AF to great result.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Got two currently. A chrome Nikomat FTn and a black Nikomat FT2. Pix of both can be seen in my flickr account, or on the Nikomat flickr pool that Uncle Bill set up a while ago. I also have a parts FT/FTn hybrid, some guts from a chrome FT3 that was dead, and a chrome FTn coming from shutterbladeoutlet that's going to be donating some parts to my current FTn. Over the years, I've owned a few Nikkormats.

Here comes the list, in chronological order.

1969-97: Nikomat FTn chrome - kinda ugly when I got it from my father in 1987, very ugly when it left, but still working perfectly. Sold as a Nikkormat FTn with FT2 nameplate.

1990-97: Nikkormat FT2 chrome - looked decent, but needed some work when it arrived. Shutter speed ring was off by a stop. Camera was repaired twice, once for that problem, then eventually for a replacement ring resistor. Just became massively jumpy and very inaccurate. Became a Nikomat FT2 before being sold.

1998-05: Nikomat FTn chrome - looked decent, had a jammed shutter - repaired twice. First time, shutter was overlubed by the shop, was very erratic, so had it overhauled again by a different shop. Shutter replaced. Meter coupling was iffy when I sold it, so it acted like the ring resistor was dying.

2004-05: Nikkormat FTn chrome - decent looker, late model with K screen. Needed recalibration, since it was still set up for mercury cells.

2005: Nikomat FT2 black - first black Nikkormat I owned. Had FTn nameplate installed, instead of FT2 style plate, just like my original chrome FT2 when I sold it.

2005: Nikkormat FT3 chrome - decent body, but didn't care for the nameplate style, so sold off.

2005: Nikomat FTn black - early body with multiple issues, purchased as parts body for chrome FT2 below. Donated "J" screen to it.

2005-06: Nikomat FT2 chrome - overhauled and new mirror box installed. Nice body once it was finished, sold due to financial issues in 2006. Every once in a while, pops up on eBait.

2006: Nikomat FT2 chrome - eBait purchase that needed work, due to it spending most of its life in Hawaii. Quite corroded. Received different casting. Still had a somewhat jumpy meter when sold. Was pretty much an FTn when I got it, tho.

2007: Nikomat FTn chrome - parts body.

2007-08: Nikkormat FT2 black - received various parts from black FTn, then overhauled. Sold in April 2008.

2007: Nikomat FT chrome - jammed when I got it, was an easy unjam. Meter was a little jumpy, but useable. Given away later that year.

2007: Nikkormat FTn chrome - received with FT. Jammed. Unfortunately, not easy to unjam, so parted out. Donated "J" screen to black FT2 above.

2007: Nikomat FTn chrome - late model, overhauled, but had to abandon @ shop, due to financial issues.

2007: Nikomat EL chrome - dead meter cells.

2007: Nikkormat FT2 black - Meter off two stops, brassy, but good otherwise. Sold off in late 2007.

2008: Nikkormat FT2 black - mostly dead meter. Given away.

2008: Nikkormat FT2 black - another cheapie, broken self-timer lever, given away.

2008: Nikomat FTn chrome - nice, slightly jumpy meter. Unfortunately, traded off for some F5 parts or something like that.

2008: Nikkormat FTn black - nice, think one of the meter cells was dead, since it was very erratic. Sold off as a Nikomat FTn.

2008: Nikomat FT2 black - current FT2, just overhauled, awaiting pickup.

2008: Nikomat FTn black - okay camera, donated some parts to the above FTn.

2008: Nikkormat EL black - $25, traded on next body

2008: Nikomat FTn chrome - erratic meter, but accurate. Traded on F4s.

2008-09: Nikomat FTn black - nice mechanically, not so nice cosmetically. Died when dropped on concrete drive.

2009: Nikomat FTn black - nicer cosmetically, but erratic meter, sold early this year.

2009: Nikomat FTn chrome - decent, traded for black FT3 below.

2009: Nikkormat EL chrome - decent mechanically, ugly cosmetically. Thrown in a trade deal with some other gear.

2009: Nikkormat FT3 black - decent, meter off a stop, 1 second sometimes erratic. Sold earlier this month.

2009: Nikomat FTn chrome - current FTn. Needs refoaming, meter cells, self-timer repair, resoldering of synch sockets due to top cover replacement, but works well otherwise.

2009: Nikkormat FTn chrome - parts body mentioned at top, will be donating meter cells, if they're good, plus some other parts.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 35/135/3.5-4.5 AIS, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Two FT3's. One black, one chrome. The black one has a cracked lens mount. I didn't know it at the time I bought it. The chrome FT3 is my current favorite. It has some Rollei IR film in its belly now. I've stuck an 85mm AI lens in its mouth and it seems to love it.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have one which was dropped on its head (read pentaprism) and it didn't faze it; still works fine!

I wonder what would have happened if that had been my N80?

Anyway, I tried to sell it the other day along with some other gear and got a low ball offer so I decided to keep it and to h*ll with the sales idea.

With best regards,

Stephen S. Mack

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just a really nice condition chrome fully working FT3. I don't use it enough, because when I want a basic manual film camera, I tend to grab my beater Nikon FM or my Minolta SRT-202s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Nikkormat FTn with a few lenses and boy do I love it! I use it for most of my shooting now. I have a black one and it is just so handsome! I love that the shutter speeds are set by a ring around the lens mount. Is it so fun!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin