Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,602   Online: 1041

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I must have about 20 mechanical Nikkormats. Two FT2s and an FT3 were completely overhauled by Essex Camera Service. The black FT2 is a little brassy and the meter needle sometimes gets a little jumpy but it's the one I've used the most. The FT3 is nice with AI/AIS lenses and works even with lenses with no prong but with pre-AI lenses you have to meter in stop down mode and flip up the AI tab. The FT2 takes the same MS-76 battery and works equally well with pre-AI and AI/AIS lenses as long as they have a prong. I donlt mind the manual indexing. These features make the FT2 my favorite. I consider the black FTN to be the prettiest of the mechanical Nikkormats. The only thing I don't like about the mechanical Nikkormats is the lack of interchangeable focusing screens. If I know I'll be doing mostly macro work I'll use an FE with an E screen or switch to a Canon F-1 or Minolta X-700. If the meter mechanism is not too badly worn a Nikkormat can be a reliable and enjoyable camera to use. A few of my Nikkormats are Nikomats. I am missing the FS but I have the other models. The FT is not as well made as the later Nikkormats and has a much more annoying indexing method. I find it easier to use an FT with lenses of the same speed so indexing is not needed each time. I have used an FT with a 35/2.8, 55/2.8 and 135/2.8 and with a 28/3.5, 55/3.5 and 135/3.5. I may have also used an FT with the 35/2, 50/2 and 85/2 combination.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anything older than an FT2; is good to take to a good technician and tell him to change the circuit to use the new 'silver oxide' batteries and to calibrate the Photometer. I'm happy with the work.

Shooter
    35mm

it's a beater

nikkormat FT3 found on e-bay! for $1
    it came very dirty, crud built up on mirror, dust everywhere
    dent above "nikkormat" on pentaprism
    dent on hinge side by screw that did cause advance lever to stick until hammer and punch fixed it
    battery cover missing, duck tape residue buildup form duck tape being used as battery door
    "B" is a mystery speed, or will cause jam
    when jammed, open door and turn spool by hand
    no mirror foam
    door foam sticky
    Kodak Duaflex II with kodet lens
    N75 N8008s D60
    Yashica - D
    Only a photographer knows the true value of infinity

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have an FT3 that I bought last year. It's in nice condition except for a small dimple in the top deck, which I'll bang out some day.

Otherwise, it cleaned up nicely and is an excellent camera. It's sturdy, basic and with few frills -- just how I like cameras to be.

No unnecessary switches, dials, buttons, scene modes or other baloney.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not at the moment but my first Nikon was a Nikkormat FTN which my father got for me in 1984. It was later traded for a Nikon FG. In hindsight, I think I would prefer to have the FTN to the FG but at the time I was young and having a proper 'Nikon' logo on the front instead of 'Nikkormat' was important to me!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had all mine rewired to take siver oxide 1.55 volts and the Meters recalibrated

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

Yes, I am a Nikomat FTn owner also. A nice working camera with a surprisingly accurate shutter, according to the Kyoritsu tester. It does feel like a camera when you pick it up. You do get some interesting looks, and occasionally a question or two when you are out with one.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    The Nikomat FTn was my first SLR a good solid camera, I used it for ten years from 1976, in 1980 it became my slide copy camera, living on an Bowens Illumitran until I sold it in 1986.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had my FT2 for just about a year now, and love it. It's sitting at home away from university right now as it needs new mirror foam and could do with a CLA one of these days, but it traveled all through Finland for a year, as well as to Russia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I started my oldest daughter on a FTn and she is still using it 25 years later.

Mike

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin