Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,328   Online: 943

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Need to choose best normal Minolta MD/MC lens

I either bought or was gifted some Minolta gear and now I'm trying to let some gear go. I have the following bodies that I'll probably keep:

SRT 202 (My Dad's)
    SRT Super (Converted to modern voltage - keeping unless someone give me a good offer)
    X-700

I have a number of MD/MC/Rokkor lenses and want to limit my collection.

I know I have:
    45mm f2
    50mm 1.4 Rokkor-PG (Dad's also, keeping no matter what)
    a 1.7s or two
    a f2 (I think I still have it)
    and a 58mm 1.4 Rokkor-X (I think it's an -X)

So my question, what are the best (fast, f2-1.4) lenses either I listed or dont' have yet. (Yes, I would like a 1.2, but don't need to spend that much.)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BBBold: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

From a lifelong Minolta MD user, you're good.

Keep the pancake and the 1.4's.
    Last edited by Christopher Walrath; 07-21-2009 at 12:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I know in the Nikkor world, the 50mm 1.8 is renound for it's sharpness at f4-f8. More so than the f/1.4, maybe marginally... but it's still there. I was wondering if the 1.7 is the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    58mm 1.4 Rokkor-X by far is the best.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But also consider that your x700 requires an MD lens to use all it's features.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    mgb74, I think I'm OK because I use Aperture Priority 95.67% of the time. The rest is manual mode.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Out of that group, If I were keeping 2 lenses, and given the bodies you'll be using them on, I'd keep the 50mm f1.4 MC, and the 45mm f2 MD, for compatibility with X-700 program mode, and the most ultra small and light.

If I were keeping just one of these lenses, I'd be torn between the 50mm f1.4 PG and a 50mm F1.7 MD Rokkor-X

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Body-wise, If I were you, I'd keep the SRT-Super and I'd actually sell the X-700 and replace it with either an XD-11, XD-5, or X-570. X-570s are cheap (you can generally get them on ebay for under $30) and IMHO, superior to the X-700 because Minolta changed the capacitor that was a reliability issue on the X-700, and also they replace Program mode with a really well executed metered manual mode that the X-700 lacks.

Ironically, because most folks are not aware of this, you could probably sell your working X-700 for $10-20 more than a clean X-570 costs to buy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dougjgreen View Post
    Body-wise, If I were you, I'd keep the SRT-Super and I'd actually sell the X-700 and replace it with either an XD-11, XD-5, or X-570. X-570s are cheap (you can generally get them on ebay for under $30) and IMHO, superior to the X-700 because Minolta changed the capacitor that was a reliability issue on the X-700, and also they replace Program mode with a really well executed metered manual mode that the X-700 lacks.

Ironically, because most folks are not aware of this, you could probably sell your working X-700 for $10-20 more than a clean X-570 costs to buy.
    Hm, Interesting. I will have to look more into it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dougjgreen View Post

But doesn't the X-570 lack TTL flash?
    Charles Hohenstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin