Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,879   Online: 941

Shooter
    35mm

Cleaning Minolta XD focusing screen

Hello,

I recently bought an XD7 from 1979 to accompany my SRT101b and X700.
    I really like this camera, it kinda grows on you

It arrived in really good shape. I replaced the mirror damper foam and the light seals and stuck an Ilford HP5+ in it.

It performs wonderfully!
    My only gripe is that the focusing screen seems dirty, lots of spots and specks on the inside, where I can't reach it. Is taking the screen out and cleaning it a DIY, or should I better have it serviced? Or just live with it? It oviously doesn't have any effect on the photo's and it's not like I can't see through at all...

If a DIY, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks!

Jesse

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Jesse, it's not too complicated. In fact I replaced the screen with a piece of cardbord during replacement of the mirror damper to protect the screen.
    To get the screen out you have to remove two tiny screws inside of the lens mount just above the screen. They hold a half moon shaped flat spring and a spacer IIRC. Take them out carefully and observe, how they are mounted. Also observe, where the screen is located on the back side.
    After removing the screws and spring you can take out the screen carefully with a tweezer.

Cleaning it is more complicated. At most I would give it a moderate blow with canned air and max. a stroke with a soft an clean (!) brush.
    No alcohol, this will blind the screen. I would avoid liquids at all.

Also have a look though the finder to check if the dust is on the prism.

Now try to reassemble and not to get new dust in.
    Good luck.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for your reply! If I feel brave enough tonight I will try and clean the screen

I'm afraid I should have known about alcohol blinding the screen before...I already made an attempt to clean some smudge off with an alcohol dampened cloth. Smudge came off allright, but now there is another swipe of something...I'm not sure I'd call it blinded and it's not to big, so that actually doesn't bother me as much as the specks and spots on the inside...(maybe it'll start to annoy me once I get the specks and spots out though ).

Anyone knows a new old screen for sale?

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok, so last night I _did_ feel brave and took the screen out, cleaned it off a bit and afterwards it looked much better! Still a lot of dust, but that was on the inside, on the prism itself. So took the sreen out again (putting it back is a little harder than taking it out ) and got rid of that dust too with a blow and a sweep and now I have that lovely, bright viewfinder that everyone is so exited about!

BTW: bought another XD today on a secondhand site. I comes with a 28mm/2.8 MD rokkor, a 75-200mm zoom (not sure what brand, but most probably also a Minolta) and a little sunpack flash!

Price: 30 euro's! The guy said that the technique of that camera went over his head, he'd rather have a point and shoot
    Obviously doesn't know what he's selling...this is a steal!

Anyway: thanks guys!
    Last edited by jvanoort; 07-23-2009 at 01:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Take out the screen, and using some liquid soap on your finger tips, gently clean it under running water.

Used compressed air to dry the screen, but make sure that you hold it securely.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jvanoort View Post
    Ok, so last night I _did_ feel brave and took the screen out, cleaned it off a bit and afterwards it looked much better! Still a lot of dust, but that was on the inside, on the prism itself. So took the sreen out again (putting it back is a little harder than taking it out ) and got rid of that dust too with a blow and a sweep and now I have that lovely, bright viewfinder that everyone is so exited about!

BTW: bought another XD today on a secondhand site. I comes with a 28mm/2.8 MD rokkor, a 75-200mm zoom (not sure what brand, but most probably also a Minolta) and a little sunpack flash!

Price: 30 euro's! The guy said that the technique of that camera went over his head, he'd rather have a point and shoot
    Obviously doesn't know what he's selling...this is a steal!

Anyway: thanks guys!
    The funny thing about the XG series is that they are as easy to use as a modern point and shoot but sooo much nicer...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MaLo View Post
    The funny thing about the XG series is that they are as easy to use as a modern point and shoot but sooo much nicer...
    True...but I'm talking XD here, not XG ...different animal

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jvanoort View Post
    True...but I'm talking XD here, not XG ...different animal
    Oops!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    But you are right about the XG, it's actually quite simple to operate. The XD is a little bit more complicated but I bet I can teach a baboon to use it in about 30 minutes flat . Guess some people don't even reach the level of being a baboon.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    35mm
    30 euros, awesome! I can get one here for about 20,000 yen! If you have too many problems with it, especially cleaning it, I'll be happy to relieve you of the burden.
    Film and digital; best of both worlds. JapanesePhotos.Asia.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin