Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,766   Online: 873

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canon FTb, Tx, etc. will be good among others.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To doug's list i would also add the Fujica ST801 (some other fujica as well e.g.ST 901), manual camera, 1/2000, speed displayed in viewfinder, meter display uses LED in v/finder (good for dim light), DOF preview button easy to hit, glass is quality and cheap to get

GJA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ideally, I would say a Nikon F3hp, but thats well above budget.

An FM-10 might be a better option or maybe a Nikkormat?

I only really know about Nikons, but I think older cameras are good so that one can get a nice cheap 50mm 1.4 lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastigmatic View Post
    To doug's list i would also add the Fujica ST801 (some other fujica as well e.g.ST 901), manual camera, 1/2000, speed displayed in viewfinder, meter display uses LED in v/finder (good for dim light), DOF preview button easy to hit, glass is quality and cheap to get
    Are those Fujicas M42 mount? I was trying to avoid M42 cameras because the lenses have, surprisingly, gotten a bit pricey in recent years

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GJA View Post
    Ideally, I would say a Nikon F3hp, but thats well above budget.

An FM-10 might be a better option or maybe a Nikkormat?

I only really know about Nikons, but I think older cameras are good so that one can get a nice cheap 50mm 1.4 lens.
    To me, the best choice among Nikons on a tight budget would be the FM, with the FE next. The FM-10 is newer, but it's a plastic Cosina knock-off body, whereas the FM and FE are REAL Nikons.

If the budget were bigger, that puts the FM2n, FE2, F2 and F3 into play, but those are more expensive cameras than anything I recommended.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've found the canon ae-1 used on full auto is a cheap reliable camera , it's not technically full auto more shutter priority but I don't recommend using it on that mode. Again for the cost and reliability used on full manual it's a great camera

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    AE-1. That's what I started with a few years ago. (the class actually used FTs or TXs or something, but I had an AE-1.) I never really used the auto-exposure mode.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have to vote for the K1000. Thats what I learned on and I still shoot that very camera to this day. It's girth and heft are what I like about it. I know there are great other models from Canon, Olympus, and Nikon.

However I think ALL manual is a critical choice when learning, not something that you can choose to MAKE all manual. Especially when a lot of people learning and/or starting with film today, have learned the digital way first. I'm not knocking digital, I use plenty of digital. But when you learn habits like take, take, look, look, delete, umm maybe fix... You need to force yourself to stop, think, visualize and really understand the relationship of the lens, shutter, and film.

I agree that K1000s do seem over priced. Certainly in used dealers, and ebay. I see plenty of them pop up on craigslist for less than 100. Especially when summer comes and students are trying to offload them, and the later in the summer it gets, the more the price seems to come down... I don't think you can go wrong with any of the fully manual ones out there.

Joel.
    "Do not lose sight of the essential importance of craft" - Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although somewhat prejudice, I'd say either an Olympus OM 1 or 1n that has been sent to zuiko.com for a CLA and conversion to modern batteries. I teach a beginners class at a local artists studio and issue each of my students either an OM 1 or 1n. There is no Mr. Automatic in these cameras. Nice! They get to learn how a camera works. There are others that will do the same thing and none that will do it any better. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is what I started on:

A Nikon FG with a 50mm 1.8 series E lens. Cost me less than $50 on eBay. Has manual exposure modes as well as aperture priority. They use the pretty standard S76 battery (two of them), or the available at Radio Shack 1/3 N (both end up being 3V, but the 1/3 N will last longer).

I still have that camera and I love it to pieces. I've made many beautiful photographs with it, but have moved on to a Mamiya m645 system I am building.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin