Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,965   Posts: 1,632,501   Online: 1004

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Canon T90 takes AA batteries - gotta love it! Plus FD and FL Lenses are cheap!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the student isn't going to do much lens changing (i.e. just uses a 50mm), I'd add the Pentax Spotmatic to the list of recommended fully manual cameras.

Forget the K1000... No DOF preview or meter switch (meaning you always have to put the lens cap back on)... Yuk!!!!
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nikon N80 is a good student camera and are inexpensive. It has Program, Aperture, Shutter Priority, and of course full manual. Since it works with Nikkor AI manual focus lenses, and Nikon AF-D lenses, once you start buying lenses you can use them on (dare I say it) digital if need be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The problem with the Nikon N80 is that the meter doesn't actually work with manual focus lenses. If the student wanted an autofocus camera that also worked with manual focus lenses, the N90s is a better choice for that specific reason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    what about a Yashica FR? Especially the FR-II? Those are aperture priority only.
    David

A Holga is an ugly woman, a Brownie is a delicious treat.

dromanophoto.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry, forgot about the metering not working with autofocus lenses on the N80, but I shoot mostly B&W with it and guess exposures quite well.

Shooter
    35mm
    N80 is where it's at. I don't see why a student would be using manual focus Nikkors as they cost much more than the kit zooms that flood eBay. I bought an N80 new in high school and still think it represents the absolute pinnacle of value (cheap, manual mode, manual ISO settings, great metering in matrix, center weight, and SPOT!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

K1000 - more importantly is a totally manual camera

The reason the K100 was chosen was it was rugged lasts well with use but far more importantly is a totally manual camera.

What you don't want is a point & shoot SLR, particularly with autofocus, programme modes, or aperture/shutter speed priority.

So a substitute camera needs similar attributes.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    What's wrong with a camera that can be A/S/P but also has manual mode? If one doesn't have the discipline to leave the camera on M they probably don't have the discipline for film photography.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dougjgreen View Post
    Are those Fujicas M42 mount? I was trying to avoid M42 cameras because the lenses have, surprisingly, gotten a bit pricey in recent years
    Yes they are, I guess its a matter of timing, I find them to be pretty cheap, lots to choose from. Though some of the other cameras mentioned are good (I like OM's myself but the glass on them IS getting way up there in cost lately, especially the f2's, not to mention they are usually more expensive to service than some of the others), the ST801 is not a bad choice really the more I think about it for students, very robust camera, with obvious buttons for beginners to use and locate (DOF preview etc), and doesn't need the battery conversion that the OM's do.

The KR5 is a poor mans K1000, similar camera to look at , use and feel (comes in modern snazzy black though LOL) but only 1/500 (early straight KR5's, later ones have faster speeds), give the students some ND filters to compensate and teach them something different at the same time. Has twin needle set up so you get an idea of what speeds and aperture setting are without removing your eye from the viewfinder, the meter turns on or off when you pre-open or close the film advance, best way to switch the meter on or off, compared to ANY other IMO, no need to half press shutter buttons while trying to adjust speeds, saves batteries going flat too, why didn't that method catch on with every one else!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin