Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,117   Online: 812

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

I love old cameras...

...So much so, that I seem to be breeding 'em! The Praktica MTL5 I picked up from a junk stall works just perfect...ish...the self timer is a little temepremental. But I had my first roll of film took on it devloped and its a-ok. My chinon CE-5 works perfect. AND I am just about to aquire a Minolta Dynax 7000i or 7XI. Not sure which one until I get me hands on it. I have always had a soft spot for Minoltas; the company used to produce some beautiful SLR's, such as the X-300 / X-700 models. And I think the Minolta lenses were some of the best ever produced.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Watch out! Their larger cousins, the medium and large format varieties are just as addictive and take up a lot more room. Still, all that wood and brass...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Minolta X-700 (and an XG-1) and I just love to use it. I am mostly shooting medium format these days, mostly with a RB67. However when I get the desire to shoot up some 135, I normally choose the X-700 over all the others, includeing two Canon EOS cameras with a selection of "L" lens. Its just a sweet little camera. I really like the window that allows you to see the aperture setting in the view finder. Wonderful simple little feature that makes a big difference.

Jason

Shooter
    35mm
    My personal favourite is the Konica Autoreflex T3(N). It might be big and heavy but the mechanics are so smove and with the weight it makes for a rock steady shot so try to get one of those.

Another nice camera to look out for is the Nikon FE for it also has god mechanics and isn't that sort after.
    Last edited by MaLo; 08-12-2009 at 11:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is a dangerous game. My preference is old cameras given up for dead. Like old MF folders that have inoperative shutters, etc. A soak of the shutter in white gas, a gentle clean of the lens elements, any other tlc to bing it back to life like softening stiff bellows with leathr conditioner, etc.

Then shoot a roll of film in it. Sometimes this means slitting down 120 film, or re-rolling it on different/modified rolls. Process and print a contact sheet.

Pick the best picture and make the best print you can, and display it. Then someone who comeas along and admires the picture (usually a digifriend at a camera club). I show them the contact sheet, and then the camera. Oh its fun to then listen to the zillions that they need to spend to buy the latest d body, lens, etc. to get a shot like that.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Old Camera's

Old cameras are more addictive that any known drug. I cannot resist these old beauties, particularly the Zeiss/Ikon brand...all that gleaming metal and the reassuring heft of it in your hand. I love my Zeiss/Ikon contaflex it is the nearest I have experienced to my, now longed for, M3 doublestroke: which was nirvana in 35mm. Beware of Rolleiflex/Rolleicord: one touch and you are hooked.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have "my" old SRT-101 sitting next to me at the moment -- I used it last night to try for some meteor shots. Heavy dew was a real problem but there's just something about that camera which feels right in one's hands...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I also like lots of classic cameras. Not much into folders, but I Do like some expensive ones:
    Linhof technika V / Master Technika. Look at that anodized aluminium, amazing. Change the ugly tan of the V and put a Cameraleather or Aki asahi and there's a beautiful techinka V.
    Rolleiflexes. I like any of the post 1950 ones. The F's, MX-evs, T. Look at the amazing Viewfinder of the F's and T. The reflection of those coatings... Rolleicords are a wonder too. The V, Va and specially Vb. Amazing.
    Ron, that's completely right! Seeing them on photo was enough to get hooked.
    Beware of Leicas and Linhofs too. The latter is one I would love to have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You do ok until you get 20 or 30 then it starts getting out of hand...
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The worst when you are suffering of that addiction is that in this digital age, so many old nice camera are out there for cheap. Unfortunately, the wallet is not acting as the tranquilizer as it should do. Therefore, cameras are piling up around me. I'm not that much into 135, I prefer to look at a ground glass. I just got 2 roll out of my lastly acquired Minolta Autocord and I was more than pleased by the result.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin