Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,931   Posts: 1,556,939   Online: 1040

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    I totally agree with you on the ME Super, which is my main pentax camera. The button system is nothing but a tack-on maybe good for shooting from a tripod (which I never do). To me it's an aperture-priority camera all the way, thankfully it has a quick exposure compensation and film speed adjustment.

Maybe I'll look into getting a olympus 50/1.8, for when I want an normal lens but not that last stop of speed.

Another annoying thing is that Olympus and Pentax lenses focus opposite. Before I got my Olympus camera i had assumed there was an industry agreement on which way you have to turn a photographic lens to focus. Apparently that would be too sensible. Pentax lenses turn anticlockwise to focus to infinity and Olympus lenses turn clockwise. Is Pentax the odd brand out, or Olympus, or is there no most-popular focus direction among manufacturers at all?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm

Pentax vs. Olympus glass

I read somewhere that Takumar lenses were named for a famous Japanese photographer named Takumo. My latest 50/1.7 K mount lens is an SMC-F. I've only used it a few times and only with manual focus cameras. It's now attached to a Ricoh KR-5 Super. The color of the coating looks different from that of the 50/1.7 SMC Pentax-M. Both are good lenses. My favorite K mount standard lens is the 55/1.8 SMC. I also have the 55/2 SMC Pentax which seems to be the same lens but with a different speed marking. All three standard Zuikos I have are 50/1.8 models. You would have to make a pretty large print to see any difference between the Zuiko and the 50/1.7 SMC-F. The only 50/1.4 K mount lens I have is a Sears model made by Ricoh. I never tested it formally but it seems fine.

I have a 28/2.8 SMC-M and a late model 28/3.5 Zuiko. Both of these also seem fine. The Asahi lens seems better built. I would like to have a 28/3.5 SMC lens but that has become a collector's item. If I need that look I'll use a 28/3.5 SMCT with an adapter. In the popular focal lengths and speeds I find the Zuiko and AOC lenses comparable. The condition of each lens and the care taken is using it are more important that the brand. They are both good.

Shooter
    35mm
    I totally agree with you on the ME Super, which is my main pentax camera. The button system is nothing but a tack-on maybe good for shooting from a tripod (which I never do). To me it's an aperture-priority camera all the way, thankfully it has a quick exposure compensation and film speed adjustment
    Yes, used just in aperture-priority mode, The ME Super is a great camera - and like the MX, it feels great in my small hands. I'm just too old to change my "tricky lighting" approach, and I need manual metering (or spot metering - the OM4 does it great).

Another annoying thing is that Olympus and Pentax lenses focus opposite
    Hehe, yes, and it's especially annoying if you're out shooting with one of each!

I don't think either one is the odd one out, particularly. Olympus and Nikon do it one way, and I think all the K-mount and screw-mount cameras did it the other way - don't know about Canon, Minolta etc.

But that's also another point in favour of Olympus for me. I can get used to either way (my very first SLR was a Pentax Spotmatic), but Olympus do it the same way as my rangefinder gear, so it's all the same - and having the aperture ring at the front is the same too, so that's a bonus.

I read somewhere that Takumar lenses were named for a famous Japanese photographer named Takumo
    'Takumar is the name that Asahi Optical gave to its lenses, notably but not exclusively those for its own SLR cameras. Named after the Japanese craftsman Takuma Kajiwara (梶原啄磨 Kajiwara Takuma?),[1] the name adorned its lenses until 1975, when Asahi switched from the M42 screw mount to the bayonet K-mount.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takumar

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Sure. That's exactly what I do right now, but which ones do YOU like better?
    I like my Takumars on my Pentax's and my Zuiko's on my Olympus's, of course!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have 2 Takumars with 'K' Mount: 135mm f/2.5 and 200mm f/4. They are great. I also have a bunch of Super-Multi-Coated Takumars M42; I love them all; especially the 'bokeh'

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by oscroft View Post

I don't think either one is the odd one out, particularly. Olympus and Nikon do it one way, and I think all the K-mount and screw-mount cameras did it the other way - don't know about Canon, Minolta etc.
    [/I]'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takumar
    Pentax and Nikon focus in the same direction, and their aperture rings move the same way, too. M42 lenses from some other camera manufacturers emulated the Pentaxes. Fuji's Fujinons did.
    IIRC, Ricoh's M42 Rikenons focused opposite, and they changed that when they went to K-mount.

Both focus and aperture rings on Canon FD, Minolta Rokkor, Konica Hexanon and Topcon's Topcors moved opposite to Nikon's and Pentax's. The focusing ring on Olympus OM series lenses moved opposite, but not the aperture ring.

If anyone can show me if I'm in error on any of this, I'd appreciate the correction.
    Last edited by lxdude; 08-02-2009 at 02:30 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarity

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin