Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,485   Online: 925

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used an OM 1 today with a 50mm f1.8 and the Vivitar Macro focusing teleconverter. What a nice combination! A nice addition to anly kit. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach View Post
    My favorite (more or less) is a 75mm-150mm f/4 Zuiko.... Has a history behind it ...

I originally bought this used. It had a problem in losing its focus when "zooming" from one end of the range to the other. I lived with it.

A few years ago we had the "Mother's Day Flood" ... 12" of rain in about 12 hours. My Olympus and all the accessories were caught underwater as a result. Everything was borought to a respected repair shop - one of those shops dedicated to repairing professional equipment only (knock three times and tell them "Scott" sent you). Everything was dried out, cleaned, lubricated ... an excellent job - EXCEPT that 75mm - 150mm... it would NOT focus -at all. I returned it, they sent it out, and it was re-built. Now, this is the finest, sharpest, most contrasty, distortion free lens I own, bar none!
    I use it almost exclusively in copying art, producing transparencies submission to Art Schools. I don't think anyone can be more technically fussy than artists judging transparencies of their own work.

The only way that lens is going anywhere is when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers!
    That's an incredible story and so tragic. I had no idea anyone could repair a drowned camera and the lens too, that's pretty amazing. I did get a good chuckle from your last comment. After all that I wouldn't let it go either...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by VaryaV View Post
    Have any of you folks ever used one or the 20mm f3.5 macro? They both look incredible.
    VaryaV, I have recently started using the 20mm f/3.5 ultra-high magnification Macro lens. It's quite simply an amazing lens, and opens your eyes to an unseen world. It is, however, very difficult to use (especially the way I've been using it mostly, hand-held with flash) it's like hand-holding a 1000mm tele lens.

Another difficulty is the paradox of needing to stop down all the way (f/16) for *some* depth of field, but that this lens is sharpest wide open, and suffers serious loss of resolution at f/16. Still, I've been taking more than half my images at this aperture. Here is an example (image field is about 2.5mm across) of a tiny seedling just sprouted from the ground, taken at f/16. Natural light, long exposure. (There is no light at f/16 at these magnifications!!)
    (Ilfor FP4+, 5x7in split-grade darkroom print)

This particular one was with the bellows, but this lens is great on the 65-116 auto tube with flash. (Beware: The ring flashes are not suitable for the short lens-to-subjkect distance, you have to mount the macro twin flash on a separate bracket, or a nowmal - i.e. T32 - flash into a soft box)

Back to the topic of the thread. My favouite OM lens? The Zuiko 90mm f/2.0 Macro. This lens draws in a manner which is quite unlike any other I've seen - the way it captures light. Character very similar to some images of Leica M lenses that 've seen. And it has the most beautiful soft "ideal" gaussian-blurred out-of-focus areas.

Anyway, I love it, it lives on my OM-1n.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Here's a shot from my 55mm 1.2, I love the effect I get when shooting this lens wide open:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    That is also my favourite, a stellar lens, even compared to the 3.5/50 Macro and the 3.5/38 bellows lens. The 80mm had been recommended to me when I asked in this forum "which is the best lens ever made for macro photography around 1:1 size?"
    CMO - It is really the most beautiful lens I have ever worked with. You say you like it better then the 38mm macro? I am dying to have one to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by philosomatographer View Post
    VaryaV, I have recently started using the 20mm f/3.5 ultra-high magnification Macro lens. It's quite simply an amazing lens, and opens your eyes to an unseen world. It is, however, very difficult to use (especially the way I've been using it mostly, hand-held with flash) it's like hand-holding a 1000mm tele lens.

Another difficulty is the paradox of needing to stop down all the way (f/16) for *some* depth of field, but that this lens is sharpest wide open, and suffers serious loss of resolution at f/16. Still, I've been taking more than half my images at this aperture. Here is an example (image field is about 2.5mm across) of a tiny seedling just sprouted from the ground, taken at f/16. Natural light, long exposure. (There is no light at f/16 at these magnifications!!)
    (Ilfor FP4+, 5x7in split-grade darkroom print)

This particular one was with the bellows, but this lens is great on the 65-116 auto tube with flash. (Beware: The ring flashes are not suitable for the short lens-to-subjkect distance, you have to mount the macro twin flash on a separate bracket, or a nowmal - i.e. T32 - flash into a soft box)

Back to the topic of the thread. My favouite OM lens? The Zuiko 90mm f/2.0 Macro. This lens draws in a manner which is quite unlike any other I've seen - the way it captures light. Character very similar to some images of Leica M lenses that 've seen. And it has the most beautiful soft "ideal" gaussian-blurred out-of-focus areas.

Anyway, I love it, it lives on my OM-1n.
    WOW - this is absolutely breathtaking, stunning image. I like your tips here and it would give me the opportunity to pull the T32 out.

I am still looking everyday, hoping, KEH will have the 38mm macro for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by sangetsu View Post
    Here's a shot from my 55mm 1.2, I love the effect I get when shooting this lens wide open:

Gosh, it is so soft and subtle. The bg is translucent. I love the look of B&W macro.

I would love to see more Macro stuff shot with these beautiful Zuiko lenses........

Shooter
    35mm
    I have five Zuiko lenses (only one was particularly pricey--85mm/2). Favorite used to be 24mm/2.8 by far, but in the last couple years I started using the 28mm/2.8 more and more until I suddenly realized I had a new favorite. It's just a perfect focal length for me. Wide enough to capture the scene, wide enough for most landscapes (which are rare for me to shoot), but not so wide that I freak people out when I move in for a portrait.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by VaryaV View Post
    I would love to see more Macro stuff shot with these beautiful Zuiko lenses........
    VaryaV, some of these may have been posted elsewhere, but here are a couple of close-up and macro images (I only have a few prints made, still many negatives to process) made with the Zuiko 90mm f/2.0 Macro:

And the 20mm f/3.5 Macro (each of these has a field size of less than 5mm):

Thee are not great yet - not only am I still getting into doing Macro with the OM system (only about a week's experience with the 20/3.5) I am still getting the hang of doing decent split-grade prints (these are all scanned 5x7 wet prints) and messing around (literally?) with toning. But one can definitely not fault the Zuiko lenses, that's for sure. Unlike my current skill level in the darkroom :-)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My 50mm f/3.5 macro. Can't affort to buy a f/2 one, and sure it will better.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin