Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,844   Posts: 1,582,663   Online: 1089

Shooter
    Holga
    Images

Nikon 70-210 f4.5-5.6 ais

I'm considering this as an addition for a trip to Shenandoah i'm taking in a couple of months. i'll be shooting outdoors in daylight or in the woods. i'll have a tripod.

does anyone have experience with this lense? is the aperture really limiting under these circumstances?

how are the optics?

thanks for your input.
    -Jake

Photography by the seat of my pants.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    f/5.6 is pretty slow. Still, the f/5.6 lens you have with you is better than the f/2.8 lens that you have at home. With a tripod, it's less of an issue of course.

Depth of field control is still an issue - you have more ability to do that with an f/2.8 or f/4 lens.

I have three Nikon lenses in this range:

80-200/4.5 (AI-converted) - I picked this up cheaply based on its reputation of being a fantastic lens. Zoom lenses have improved since then but the lens isn't too bad. I'd call it average in quality. (I could have a below-par sample.)

70-210/4.5-5.6 AF - this is my "city" lens for when I don't want to carry a big lens and I'm very happy with it. The f/5.6 maximum aperture at the long end is a little limiting, but when you can live with that the results are very good.

80-200/2.8 ED AF - amazing, but big and heavy.

I don't know how good the AI-S lens you're mentioning, but the AF version is certainly excellent.

If I were going to get a manual-focus lens in this range, I'd give serious thought to the 80-200/4 AI or AI-S. It's still inexpensive but it has a great reputation.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    the 80-200 is a little more than double the 70-210 i was looking at. not out of the question, but that's really just one more stop isn't it? i'm not sure that's worth double.
    -Jake

Photography by the seat of my pants.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, if it is worth double, you'll soon know.

I can tell you that f/4 versus f/5.6 at 200mm is a big difference, because of the need for fast shutter speeds at that length (if you're handholding anyway). Whether that justifies the dollar difference is a question only you can ask.

I can tell you that I like my 70-210 a lot despite its slow speed. Even if you do get a faster lens, you might appreciate this lens' small size and weight and want to keep both.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the Nikon 70-210 f4.5-5.6 ais, purchase it new years ago. Excellent lens. I have not used it for years because I prefer primes. Also, I have some zooms that are shorter and smaller that I sometimes use. The 70-210 f4.5 needs lots of light (need to use faster shutter speeds) or faster film, or a tripod. YMMV
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both lenses. I prefer the 70-210. Very light and sharp.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin