Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,738   Online: 1089

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by oscroft View Post
    I think that's something of an exaggeration. I have an OM1n and three OM2ns (and other OMs), and only the OM1n has had a CLA. The OM2ns are working just fine (and should one of them fail, it won't be worth the cost of a CLA - I'll just throw it away and buy another, they're so cheap).
    Well, maybe but with a CLA from someone like John Hermanson you're good to go for another 25 years.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    Whichever you get, send it to John at zuiko.com for a CLA and conversion to modern batteries. Bill Barber
    Yes, absolutely! unless of course you're just looking for a paperweight.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a 1 that works great and it is doubtful you'd find much meaningful difference between the versions. I'm going to go with the CLA recommendation. If the camera hasn't been CLA'd then it is pretty much certain that the prism foam has degraded and damaged the prism silvering. That is really not a big problem as the polished glass reflects well by itself. Polish the glass and feather the edge of the silvering with a mild abrasive such as toothpaste, and you won't even notice the damage. I believe having seen that an OM-10 prism will fit, but don't recall exactly. Either way, once it is fixed up it will be a joy for many years.

Shooter
    127 Format
    I find the OM-1 smoother and quieter than the OM-1N. I have 5 OM-1's and 2 OM-1N's to compare.

I like the OM-1 because it is more pure in appearance, especially around the eyepiece and hot shoe mounting area. (but that's just my obsessive compulsion order showing)

One other thing. The Black OM-1 has an all-black meter switch and the Black OM-1N has a white stripe in the switch which I find annoying. (compulsion...)
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OM-1n without hotshoe + 50mm f/1.4 > 1.1m lens + metal hood.

Loads of film + cheaky hand-held lightmeter + shoulder bag.

*Lens choices may vary. My perference is 35mm f/2.8 for street photos or 28mm if you shoot buildings + monuments + ruins(which I did in Italy)
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Had an OM1n for a long time. Have an OM1 now. No noticeable difference. The most important is to get it checked and the meter adjusted as 625 batteries are no more available.

Take care.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There were a number of incremental changes in the design and construction of the OM-1 over its production life. All of those changes were incorporated in the OM-1n.

I think you will find that repair people like John Hermanson will recommend the OM-1n.

In addition, the OM-1n shares the Hot Shoe 4 with the OM-2n, although Hot Shoe 4's in undamaged condition can be hard to find.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin