Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,077   Online: 1018

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
    Ken Rockwell really likes this one:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/l35af.htm

No hot shoe, and no sync port though. I've seen them at thrift stores for $5-20. KEH probably has them as well, and maybe Adorama.
    I have this one too, the metal version...and the lens is very good, in my test for sharpness it's just under an excellent SLR lens, and IIRC you can get tele and WA attachments for it.......paid £1 for mine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you thought about getting something inexpensive just to try it out the whole compact idea? Something like the Kodak KV260?

I use something like it a lot, (a Polaroid 232SL) it'll focus to about 2 feet. There's a lot of cameras that are pretty much the same thing - hyperfocal fixed 28mm f8 lens with 1/125 shutter. Part of the charm is that unlike more complicated cameras with AF, or complicated meter systems, or that preflash a few hundred times, the things just take the picture. The speed with which you can use one is fairly incredible. Especially at night where the shutter speed is just the flash duration, you can be moving the camera so quickly that people basically don't know what happened.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    An Olympus mju II (alias Stylus Epic) can focus to 1.1 ft (parallax is corrected) with its very sharp 38mm lens, good AF, good metering, it is weather-sealed, idiot-sealed and very, very portable.
    I'd go along with all of the above. My only reservation with the mjuII is that it opts to use the flash rather more readily than other P&Ss and that mine has a tendency to overexpose when shooting people with flash. The flash can, of course, be switched off manually but that rather goes against the Point and Shoot concept. Great lens.

Steve

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    The Ricoh GR1v is by far the best compact I've used. In comparison with my Leica M6/Tri-Elmar set at 28mm the GR1V gives better colour reproduction on Provia 400X and is very nearly as sharp as the Tri-Elmar when both are used at f/8. The autofocus is pretty good, the viewfinder's rubbish but exposure compensation, manual focusing and decent flash options are all great. It's tiny even compared with an Olympus XA. You'll either love or loathe the 28mm lens' angle of view.

I used an XA Mk I for a while but I found it horrible to hold and it suffered pretty strong vignetting. The lens didn't seem as sharp as reputation would suggest and certainly not up there with the GR1v.

I also had a Contax TVS which produced good results but was clunky to hold and use and generally a bit slow.
    My website: Light Work

Shooter
    35mm
    The Fujifilm DL Super Mini is really small and the case is metal. I thought it was an aps camera when I first saw it - it's just slightly taller than a 35mm film tub. You can turn the flash off, it has focus lock (I think) and there's a zoom version as well as a wide angle. It also has that funny 'Panoramic' switch where the top and bottom are blacked off in the viewfinder and the frame (remember that?). It also has that date imprinting. And of course, drop-in-loading, which saves a whole five seconds!
    Jon
    Last edited by talkingfish; 08-07-2009 at 05:04 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Nostalgia

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are a good number of good quality P&S cameras, but I've to agree with 2F/2F that you can get good low end SLR like the Canon AE-1 or similar with a 50mm lense or a short zoom for that price.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've enjoyed the Hexar AF, which is capable of results rivaling most anything at any level. It focuses to about 20" but is a single focal length. As long as Konica is now part of the discussion, the Lexio series are surprising performers. I've been a Konica user over the years and my interest in them had me trying various things Konica or I might not have even tried these. A friend who runs an insurance adjusting company used the WR series Yashicas (before going digital) that were a nice surprise, too. His insurance company clients commented on the clarity and exposures of his agency's photography. My little shirt pocket P&S is a Leica Mini-III. The 800 speed films really make this little rig come alive and get the shutter speeds and apertures where they are at their best. I've got a number of special images that I wouldn't have had, simply because I had it with me. Anyway, these are some affordable ideas that I thought would be legitimate contenders.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Another vote for the Olympus Mju-II. Spot metering is a valuable feature and the only downside is the flash has to be switched off each time you open the case as default setting is flash on. once you get used to that, it is an excellent and very sharp little camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The EOS 850 makes a great P&S camera. It is small and absolutely feature-free and takes Canon EF lenses. No pop-up flash, no LCD, no viewfinder information. Predecessor to the Rebel line.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a couple of Nikon L35 AF cameras that I use.

They are capable of producing pro-quality images but I would not say that they are of pro-quality construction.

Here are my notes:

PROS:
    Small size (70mm high x 130mm wide x 55mm deep)
    Lightweight (400 grams with batteries, film, and lens hood)
    Built-in flash useful but not powerful (f/4 at 1 meter for ISO 100 film)
    35mm focal length lens is very versatile
    High contrast lens that is good for B&W and low contrast lighting situations
    Auto film load is reliable
    Motorized film winder and re-winder are reliable
    Uses standard AA alkaline batteries
    Electronic flash sync at all shutter speeds
    Lens accepts 46mm filters
    Light meter sensor located on lens so that reading is done through filter
    Excellent for shooting landscapes
    Excellent as a loaner camera (I loan it to people to shoot wedding candids for me)

CONS:
    No hot shoe or PC flash connection for external flash
    High contrast lens that is not good for flash and high contrast scenes
    Battery dependant
    No manual focus
    No manual exposure
    Only has a Program Auto Exposure mode
    Must manually hold down pop-up flash in order to take long exposures without flash
    Lens vignette
    Slow lens (f/2.8)
    Not good for close-ups because minimum auto focus is only .8 meters
    No auto parallax correction (manual correction only)
    No depth of field scale
    No cable release connection
    Off-center tripod connection on underside of body (not good for panoramic shots)
    Lens hood blocks one corner of the viewfinder
    Motorized film advance is strong enough to break film sprockets
    Must tape battery compartment door to prevent it from opening accidentally
    Auto focus is too slow for action shots

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin