Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,414   Online: 898

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Minolta X-700 or Nikon N-65 (F-65 outside of North America)

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you a tempted by the suggestion of a small SLR you could look at the Nikon EM series:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...fg20/index.htm

I'd look at the FG, FG20, EM in that order -- the FG having the best functionality of the three. The FG is almost like having a Nikon FE2 in a slightly smaller and lighter package. Put a 50mm AIS or Series E 'pancake' lens on one at you'd have a nice package.

Prices are gong up but you should still find one within your range.
    Last edited by RedTownCats; 08-07-2009 at 04:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RTC

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    An Olympus mju II (alias Stylus Epic) can focus to 1.1 ft (parallax is corrected) with its very sharp 38mm lens, good AF, good metering, it is weather-sealed, idiot-sealed and very, very portable. When I saw it for the first time I thought it was made for film smaller than 35mm - it is just a little bigger than three 35mm film canisters and looks like a toy. Many pro photographers have used this tiny marvel.

The downside: no manual controls, needs a battery, too tiny for people with gross motor skills.

This camera is not manufactured any more, but there must be millions around, the mju series was built at very large quantities. Prices are somewhere between 1 and 70 bucks. Make sure you try the cameras before you buy them or buy from a trustworthy dealer.
    The Stylus epic is awesome. I dislike that you have to turn off the flash every time you open the camera, and the loudness of it. I also don't like that the battery doesn't last too long, only around 30 rolls or so. I do really like having AF, and the spotmeter, as my XA doesn't have exp lock, and the RF isn't that good for really low light use.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    For your budget I would recommend a Canon Canonet 28. Its cheaper then the QL17/19 but is still a fine little rangefinder for the money.

Shooter
    35mm
    Konica AF.

Why? The 35mm f/2.0 lens. A $400 camera with a $1,000 lens. Look up the Konica 35/2.0 UC-Hexanon lens. The P&S Konica AF has a near twin of that lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTownCats View Post
    If you a tempted by the suggestion of a small SLR you could look at the Nikon EM series:
    The EM/FG are known to have a lot of un-fixable electronic problems. Get a FE, its a lot better camera with a decent track record.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If $150 is the budget, why not get a Canon, Nikon or Olympus SLR with a couple of prime lenses to suit your shooting style. I have an Olymus XA and like it. I might not like it if it was my only camera. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks all for the replies, they are much appreciated

after talking with a dear friend of mine today, he and i came to the agreement that if I were to borrow one of his Leica m6 bodies(of his 3) and a lens, I let him borrow my rz kit for the duration of the period.

To me it sounded like a good proposition, and since he's a friend, we can trust each other 100% with each other's equipment.

so the close focus is kind of out now, but having that leica glass in my hands makes up for it somewhat.

thanks again and blessings,

-dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Either of Nikon's Ti cameras or the Contax P&S would fill the bill except for The budget.
    Yashica T4 also has a good reputation.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Used Leica minilux would be in the range of $150 - $200. I picked one up for about $150 a few years ago and find it to give contrasty, "punchy" photos but still with creamy OOF rendition that reminds me of the 50mm summicron.

I agree, also, that the Hexar AF is also a great fixed lens camera with terrific glass (although perhaps not exactly a point and shoot), if you can work around the limited shutter speeds. Super quiet as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin