Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,422   Online: 1032

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

(Pro Quality) 35MM P&S

Hey all,

i've just sold off some stuff to pay for this fall's classes, and I have set some aside for some new equipment. After looking at some of Terry Richardson's images, and most of them being shot on p&s cameras, until lately.

I was wondering if any of you could recommend a real top-end 35mm p&s, could be rangefinder(such as the Olympus XA v1), or not, but being able to focus close is almost a must.

If you have some rec's, my budget is up to ~$150 or so. Having a hot shoe is not a necessity, but if it has one, it would be great as well

Thanks

-Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The Yashica T4, the Rollei 35S or 35T would be the ones I would look at.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    also, if possible, could you please state as to the +'s and -'s of the ones that you recommend, or dont

thanks

-dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ken Rockwell really likes this one:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/l35af.htm

No hot shoe, and no sync port though. I've seen them at thrift stores for $5-20. KEH probably has them as well, and maybe Adorama.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMO, the best way to get "pro quality" is to go with a low-end automated SLR. They are small, light, and simple, but can take SLR accessories.

Canon AE-1 Program or Nikon equivalent (or whatever other brand) on program mode with a small lens such as the 50mm f/1.8 that will most likely come with the camera.

If you don't want to focus, any AF SLR.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-06-2009 at 11:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    One of the all time greats is the Canon AF35ML. It has a rippingly sharp 40mm f/1.9 lens with focus lock and a real he-man build. Includes a pop-up-only-if-you-ask-it flash so there is no chance of nasty flash accidents. Only downside is super low light focusing can be wonky. You could buy a bagful for $150 - they are one of the true sleepers in the P&S world.

Hope this helps,
    Jon

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Ricoh GR1 is a pretty cool camera. I picked up a GR1v (the most recent) for $300, so you might be able to find a GR1 or GR1s for your price. It's tiny, has exposure compensation, rough manual focus, and aperture priority. Oh, and a 28mm lens.

For a lot cheaper, you can do a lot with an Olympus Stylus Epic. It's a fixed 35mm lens.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
    Ken Rockwell really likes this one:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/l35af.htm

No hot shoe, and no sync port though. I've seen them at thrift stores for $5-20. KEH probably has them as well, and maybe Adorama.
    Actually I have one of those and they are rather excellent. Forgot all about it. Another smallish 35mm slr to consider are the Pentax M series. I think the one I have is an MV and came with a super sharp 40mm pancake lens.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rollei AFM35 [aka Fuji Klasse S]. Easily the best light meter and the best control of flare of any compact I've used. I've taken shots with the sun actually in the frame and still had little or no flare. I've also used it at night and in very poor light with long exposures and it has metered perfectly. I'd put the quality of the images up against more or less any 35mm SLR (within reason). The AFM has HFT coating and an aspheric element. It's a camera that I could easily use as my main 35mm camera and not feel short-changed.

There's a round-up of compacts here:

http://shutterbug.com/equipmentrevie...s/0802sb_snob/

Why people recommend the scale focusing Rollei 35s I have no idea. The inaccuracy of scale focus, particularly close up and/or wide-open trumps the alleged excellence of the lens, surely?

I didn't like the Olympus XA at all, there's something about the 'signature' of the lens that I don't like. I sold mine after a while. However, I can see that it has a look to the shots that other people would like, my dislike for it was just personal taste. The Mju II (Stylus Epic) on the other hand, is excellent.

I can't speak for how close any of these can focus, but I don't ever remember any problems with it. I do have a Ricoh (R10) which focuses very close indeed. The viewfinder on that -- and I assume the other Ricoh wide-angle compacts already mentioned above -- is fantastic for a compact, but I much prefer the quality of the photos from the Rollei AFM.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    An Olympus mju II (alias Stylus Epic) can focus to 1.1 ft (parallax is corrected) with its very sharp 38mm lens, good AF, good metering, it is weather-sealed, idiot-sealed and very, very portable. When I saw it for the first time I thought it was made for film smaller than 35mm - it is just a little bigger than three 35mm film canisters and looks like a toy. Many pro photographers have used this tiny marvel.

The downside: no manual controls, needs a battery, too tiny for people with gross motor skills.

This camera is not manufactured any more, but there must be millions around, the mju series was built at very large quantities. Prices are somewhere between 1 and 70 bucks. Make sure you try the cameras before you buy them or buy from a trustworthy dealer.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin