Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,809   Posts: 1,581,532   Online: 945

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kodak Retina II

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you Zuidopath for the bump on this.

I forgot I wrote this. :P
    It is a Retina II. NOT a IIa. And I believe a CLA is in order for it. When testing the shutter, even when i change the speed, they all sound the same. I need to get one of those neat shutter testers.
    I haven't used it in months, but have been keeping it clean and dry.

Thanks guys. (and/or gals)
    My weapons consist of 11 cameras. And counting... Be afraid.

We are the makers of music, The dreamers of dreams.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jcorll View Post
    It is a Retina II. NOT a IIa. And I believe a CLA is in order for it.
    Yeah, it's worth it since it belonged to your grandfather, and it's a fun and nice picture taker.

I have film in three Retinas at the moment.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, jcorll;

JPD has probably the most appropriate insight on this for you. Noting that the Kodak Retina II is a camera that is associated with your grandfather, get it cleaned, lubricated, and adjusted to fully restore it to normal operation. Then use that very camera to take some photographs of your grandparents. Some "formal" posed photographs, of course, but also some that show them in settings where they are doing things they enjoy; with their hobbies, their pets, their car, in the kitchen, for example. Do it soon, while you still can. Have some nice size prints made and put them into albums. Present one to your grandparents, one to your parents, and keep one for yourself.

That camera can be a way to help strengthen the relationships in your family, to promote some nice discussion, and to create some great memories. Just do it now, while everyone is here. You may be surprised at how fast things can change, and you can never get them back.
    Last edited by Ralph Javins; 04-20-2010 at 02:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the Retina III model with three Shneider lenses. Haven't gotten around to using it yet. :-(

Shooter
    35mm
    Shutter speeds 60 and up are likely to sound very similar. A camera this age which has not been used in a long time, may end up with oil on the shutter blades. Fire the shutter at speeds ranging from 1 second and 1/30th to see how they sound. Fire 1/15th over and over to see if the click - click is the same from one to the next. John

Shooter
    35mm
    Note from a professional photographer. I've been doing film photography since the 1950's and digital since about ten years ago. The blue colored flash bulbs provided the bluish light needed by outdoor type film for the right color balance when using flash indoors. That camera has NO flash mount that I've seen and you have to guess or measure the distance ... it has no focus metering. I'm still exploring mine which I bought earlier this evening, but I've been told it was very high quality for it's day and capable of professional quality images in the hands of a professional or advanced photographer. Have fun with it. I'm not sure on the pricing of it, but new they were quite expensive. Mine is from the 1930s which is older than I thought it was.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It folds into such a nice package! IMO, no other 35-mm camera equals it for hiking or backpacking. My only gripe was the lack of a bright-frame finder and the tendency for the metal bezel to scratch eyeglasses when attempting to compensate for the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin