Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,105   Online: 836

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

28mm lens for Nikon FM

Hi to everyone,

That's my first post in apug forum and I haven't searched for threads like this one, so I apologise if there are the same threads.
    I am looking for 28mm(f2 - 2,8) lens for my Nikon FM and I found that Nikon AIS 28mm is really nice and high qualited lens, but I'd like to know about Tokina/ Sigma/ Vivitar 28mm manual focus lenses. As I've been scrolling down the google found some sample photos made with Tokina 28mm f2,8 and it seems to be not sharp enough. What about Sigma 28mm F2.8 Mini-Wide and Vivitar 28mm f2,8 ? I'd like to buy a sharp, nice contrast lens, so could anybody help me to chose ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congratts on posting your first thread. I have mostly Nikon lens and have some or have had owned lens from Sigma, Tokina, Kiron, Tamron, and a few others.

Generally speaking, in my humble opinion, the Nikon is way better in build quality and in optical quality. Next, for me would be the Tokina. Kiron is low in build quality, and Tamron above it.

Now, this is based on owning just a few aftermarket lens so others lens may be different. In my mind, I would rather invest in Nikon.

Good Luck.

YMMV
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    the Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AIS is a Nikon show piece. Absolutely blows away all other lenses in this focal length. Its like Nikon turned its engineers loose and said make it the very best you can...and they did. Nothing else even comes close.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Nikon 28/2.8 Ais i really good, like BradS said (Ais is not the same as the Ai version). But if your budget allows it I would recommend the Zeiss 28.
    If you are looking for something cheap I would recommend the Sigma mini wide 28/2.8.
    I did some primitive testing with Nikon 28/2.0, Tamron 28/2.5, Sigma 28/2.8 and Tokina 28-70/2.8 at 28 and the Sigma came out on top (so if you are just looking for a lens to photograph brick walls with this is the one).

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank's for the answers !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the Nikkor 28mm f2.8 AI lens. It is the only non-normal lens I have in any format. I can only say good things about it: quite sharp, good contrast and pleasing perspective for this focal length. It can be found used quite reasonably - less than it cost 30 years ago! I can't speak to the other lenses. Hope this helps

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Soligor brand 28mm 2.8. I have no idea if it is really made by Soligor (I've never heard of the company). It came as a package deal with a Nikon FG I bought on eBay.

It seems to work reasonably well, and it was basically free given the price I paid for the whole kit. I like it because unlike Nikkors, it allows half-stop adjustments to the aperture. That's rarely (if ever) needed for negative film, but it's nice to know the option is there if I ever shoot slides with the camera.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    the Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AIS is a Nikon show piece. Absolutely blows away all other lenses in this focal length. Its like Nikon turned its engineers loose and said make it the very best you can...and they did. Nothing else even comes close.

Ditto what BradS said.
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Deepnds how much cash you have, I have a 28mm Tamon 2.5, you can basically get them for nothing and it's a really nice lens. The only downslide is that the filter diameter is 49mm rather than the more or less standard 52mm of the Nikkors. You can use a step down/up ring for filters but the design of the lens means than this can bind onto the rotating focus ring.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'd stay away from off brands. I don't mean this as an invitation to a flame war, it's just based on common sense. The only real competition in terms of optical quality to a Nikkor is the Zeiss but if it's an inexpensive lens ye seek, then stick with Nikkor.

You can find them quite cheap and no one can deny their quality. Considering the huge amount of used lenses out there, I doubt you'd save any money going to an off brand, but you can be sure the difference in quality would sure be apparent. Same money, better quality...seems pretty straightforward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin