Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,425   Online: 917

Thread: Observations

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Observations

My Leica iii/Jupiter 8 is the best camera for black and white, but terrible for shooting color. 90% of the color film run through it looks like crap, while 90% of BW looks great.

Conversely, the vignetting and extreme sharpness of the Olympus XA works well for color, especially very saturated color, while that doesn't work that well for BW.

Here are some photos from the Leica, tell me what you think!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3932469...7621900481373/
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Over the years I have learned that the more equipment I carry, the less I shoot.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cknapp1961 View Post
    Over the years I have learned that the more equipment I carry, the less I shoot.
    Same here. Nowadays I only carry a Leica with a 50mm, or a olympus XA around.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ive packed 4 cameras on the trip I'm on now...but I only carry 1 or 2 (and they're all hand holdable) when I"m actually doing anything. So, what cknapp says!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have run a couple of colour films through my FED3 Jupiter 8 combination. The look is different from my Nikkors, shall we say more pastel? But I think that I may like it. A couple of years ago I tried a Zenit SLR which gave a similar effect. Maybe something with soviet lenses?

I would love to see your results from colour film and Jupiter 8, Marko, to compare with mine.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't have that kind of problem, I only carry my Minox!
    lol

Shooter
    Pinhole
    There is this thread in the enlarging subforum about dramatically different tonal renderings from prints enlarged from the same negative using different enlarger lenses. It seems the lenses with better corner-to-center sharpness, such as the APOs, produced projected images higher in contrast and therefore of a more compressed tonal scale, making it more difficult to get good mid-tones and highlights in the finished print. Conversely, older, less well corrected lenses seemed to produce projected images that, while less sharp, had a more pleasing tonal range when printed on silver paper.

I wonder if a similar effect is happening in your comparison of old Russian rangefinders versus Japanese cameras; perhaps in order to get more pleasing tones from silver gelatin film we require lenses that sacrifice overall sharpness for a softer pallet, excess contrast being the death-knell of a good silver gelatin print, in my experience.

~Joe

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Petersson View Post
    I have run a couple of colour films through my FED3 Jupiter 8 combination. The look is different from my Nikkors, shall we say more pastel? But I think that I may like it. A couple of years ago I tried a Zenit SLR which gave a similar effect. Maybe something with soviet lenses?

I would love to see your results from colour film and Jupiter 8, Marko, to compare with mine.
    Sorry, Industar 61, not Jupiter 8 on my camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My FED2 / Industar 21 produces spectacular B&W's I have never tried color with it. I also have a Zorki 4 w/ Jupiter8 and it to produces outstanding B&W. Again I have never tried color film. I usually use one of my Nikon film bodies for color.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin