Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,672   Online: 1160

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, you don't need A camera bag -- you need about five -- in fact I need to get another one myself, because I still have room for a pair of shoes in my closet!

I have an ever growing assortment, none of which ever seems to be "just right." I have Lowepro MicroTrekker and CompuTrekker backpacks -- the latter holds just about all of my Bronica gear. I doubt if I could carry it very far in the field fully loaded, but it's good for keeping the stuff together and can be used in the car. I've got a holster, an Urban Disguise 30, and about six or seven assorted and sundry shoulder bags, some inherited, but none ever seem quite right for whatever project I'm about to embark on. I've often used a non-camera "fanny pack," actually worn with the pouch in front, for traveling very light.

Just buy something. Don't break the bank, because you'll surely decide on another one within a year or so.

DaveT

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765
    Do i need a camera bag?
    Don't even ask that question, or you'll have a whole closet full of them before you know it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Hey all,

As my photography kit grows larger, I'm considering getting a bag, probably a domke f5.
    I'm not sure if I need/would benefit from it though, or if I could just carry everything in pockets instead...What do you think?
    I would need a trailer rather than a bag, so I use a Supermarket recyclable "green" bag which holds all my photographic needs for that day (sometimes two bags).

(I pad out the base of the bags with bubble-wrap, the gear sits on top)

Advantages: everything is easily accessible; you only carry what you need immediately (the rest can stay in the boot of the car); you don't look worth robbing.

Great!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    I have an old mule with a cart that I use alot!

Jeff
    I couldn't afford the mule, use the wife to help carry stuff and hand me what I need....I hope she is not reading this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    don't waste your $$ on a bag ..
    if you end up traveling, you can get something small, when
    you need it .. but for the handful of things you have, it isn't worth it.
    i have a few camera bags, mostly to store my too many cameras and lenses in
    but when i use my camera, like today or yesterday or whenever, the bag never comes with me,
    unless i am on a job and i don't know what i will be needing ( or i am traveling) .

the biggest problem with photography, is it sometimes requires too much stuff to schlep around when
    one camera with one lens will do. if i could, i would get rid of most everything i have just to have one camera
    and one lens ... that would be ideal ...
    but unfortunately i can't really get rid of them ...

getting back to your question, no, you don't need a bag.
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    35mm
    I have several bags. I choose what I'm going to use, and then use the appropriate bag, or in some cases, no bag. The only bag that is used constantly in one configuration with set gear is the bag I use for commercial and wedding photography.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've got quite a few but the one I wish I'd bought in the beginning is the Lowepro slingshot,the one that can be moved from your back 'round to the front in seconds-highly recommended.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Main rule: as long as you have more camera's than bags you are OK.
    Exeption: LF, but those are not bags but cases: one for the camera, one for the lenses and one for the filmholders

For 35mm I have one general alu case for everything, than a LowePro backpack for travel and an old bag for when I want to go light.

MF: one case for the SL66, one bag for the SL66, for the RB67 I still have to buy a case and a bag.....

Once you start to acumulate gear there will be a growing need for more bags..... as each type of photography needs its own set and bag.
    Try them before you buy them and be inventive, try not to show that you have expensive gear with you !

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer small bags, like the Domke F3X. Fits a camera and a couple of lenses. I don't like being encumbered by lugging all my gear around; did that when I was getting started, and it really put me off photography until I got better sense. Often I will just sling a camera over my shoulder and skip the accessories altogether. It really fits my style, which is serendipitous, as in "without thought".

So no, you don't 'need' a camera bag. I have nine, they're all full of gear. Bags (in my case) are best suited to keeping systems together, and keeping the dust from fouling the works. Since I began accumulating a Minolta MD setup a few months ago, I can see I'm gonna need another bag. :rolleyes:
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I personally would get a bag, and a Domke is the right one for the job! They are really really good bags!!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin