Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,653   Online: 772

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Nikon F3 repair, is it worth it for me?

I was in my local goodwill today, and saw a beautiful Nikon F3 sitting in the glass case, priced at $150. I pulled out my phone and did a few quick searches, realizing that one that was this clean was worth a lot more (the only marks were rub marks from the strap lugs). I asked to see it and fiddled around, and I couldnt get the shutter to fire. Eventually I figured out there was a manual override and that made the shutter work perfectly, when it hit me that the batteries were probably dead. I opened up the compartment and there was a little corrosion, so I threw away the dead ones and took the 3volt out of my M6 that was around my shoulder, but still no luck with the main shutter button on any speed. I figured I'd take it home and see if I could get it to work by cleaning the compartment some more, as I have 7 days to return it for full credit. Still, once I took it home, I had no luck. This means to me that it's an electrical issue. Has anyone had this problem before? How much do you think it will cost me to fix it? I don't need any more 35mm cameras (I already have an M6 and an fm2 that's a little funky and some other things) but it's in beautiful shape and I'd really like to rescue it from the trash. I just can't afford a huge repair bill.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If the battery contacts are corroded, the lead into the camera can be corroded aswell, or have seperated from the contact completely.
    For a repairman that is an easy job.
    Be shure you have cleaned the contacts well.

The other problem could be with the on/off switch, play with it, in that way you clean it.

After that: if the battery compartment is at the bottom: take it off and then take the battery compartment out, mostly they are held into place with 2 srews and see whats behind it.
    If there is a loose wire: clean first ! And then resolder with a small tip soldering iron or ask a local repairman to do it for you.
    Be carefull: the plastik of the battery compartment melts easily !

Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I tried all that, still no luck. It's so pretty, I really want to keep it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two ideas;
    If you know someone close by with an MD-4 motor for it, you could see if it works with the motor, and forget about the in camera battery. You add significant weight to the camera though. KEH Has "bargain" MD-4's for as low as 11 USD.

You could see if the Goodwill is willing to reduce the price, given that the camera isn't functional, then get it repaired.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an F3, it's a very nice camera especially with the eye level finder which allow viewing of the entire screen without your eye on the finder.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    KEH has them from $115-$429 Bargain to super-duper new like.
    I suspect you're going to add another $60-$100 to fix the one you have.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    KEH has them from $115-$429 Bargain to super-duper new like.
    I suspect you're going to add another $60-$100 to fix the one you have.
    I agree.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree, but if you do get it repaired, you'll know exactly what you have. This is not to be underrated.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought an F3 almost a year ago while I was living in Finland, its shutter died on me in June and I promptly took it to Nippon Photo Clinic in New York City. The repair ended up costing about $250 (Not only did they CLA and solve my shutter problems, they replaced the power collar, some interior wiring, and of course resealed the camera. While it might not be the prettiest F3 around, it certainly isn't what I'd call a beater from its looks, and it performs like a brand new camera now.

I'd get it repaired, then you know it'll be reliable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Make sure the shutter lock is disengaged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin