Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,053   Online: 1118

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    It's no different than eBay. Any item on eBay listed as "I don't know if it works or not" or it "just needs a new battery" are outright lies.
    Ah, a lesson I have learned. I once bought a Yashica AF230 from a seller 'turbo-jacques' (no longer trading) who described it as "working last time I used it, but no battery to test now". As you've already guessed, it was DOA. He was reluctant to take it back ("I don't see why I should"), and tried to sell me, off-auction, an AF270, which he asserted did have a battery and was tested working. Now, the Yashica AF SLRs all take the same battery... A quick check of his listings showed that he was trading almost exclusively in photographic gear, so he knew what he was selling. I never made that mistake again.

There are those who say that there are bargains to be had from auctions of the "don't know much about it" type from people who really don't know what they're selling, but that's not a risk I'd spend money evaluating.
    Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alexmacphee View Post
    Ah, a lesson I have learned. I once bought a Yashica AF230 from a seller 'turbo-jacques' (no longer trading) who described it as "working last time I used it, but no battery to test now". As you've already guessed, it was DOA. He was reluctant to take it back ("I don't see why I should"), and tried to sell me, off-auction, an AF270, which he asserted did have a battery and was tested working. Now, the Yashica AF SLRs all take the same battery... A quick check of his listings showed that he was trading almost exclusively in photographic gear, so he knew what he was selling. I never made that mistake again.

There are those who say that there are bargains to be had from auctions of the "don't know much about it" type from people who really don't know what they're selling, but that's not a risk I'd spend money evaluating.
    This is a showcase example why I shop at my local camera stores, Samys, B&H, KEH and APUG rather than eBay. On rare occasion I will use eBay, usually sticking to dealers although I have had very good luck [so far] with small sellers.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm

I'd avoid Shutterblade, personally

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    On rare occasion I will use eBay, usually sticking to dealers although I have had very good luck [so far] with small sellers.

Steve
    Not to hijack the thread, but keep in mind that even "reputable" sellers are often clueless as to what constitutes "fully working" condition. Case in point, an EOS 1V I recently bought from Shutterblade came with a smashed hotshoe. While they were willing to take it back, it's obvious they didn't test it to see it was working fully. Too much trouble to actually try and slip a flash onto the hot shoe.

It's amazing how many people will snap the shutter three times and if that goes ok, assume the rest of the camera is in great shape.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    the olde saying goes: you get what you pay for ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A thrift store is, in essence, a kind of gambling operation designed for charity. Instead of just asking for donation outright, you pay some money on the gamble of your choice in the hopes of getting something at least useful, hopefully very cool. But if you don't, then you don't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but keep in mind that even "reputable" sellers are often clueless as to what constitutes "fully working" condition. Case in point, an EOS 1V I recently bought from Shutterblade came with a smashed hotshoe. While they were willing to take it back, it's obvious they didn't test it to see it was working fully. Too much trouble to actually try and slip a flash onto the hot shoe.

It's amazing how many people will snap the shutter three times and if that goes ok, assume the rest of the camera is in great shape.
    You will please note that Shuttleblade was not in the list. I have had less than sterling results with them, some good but still less than sterling.

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wouldn't (and have not) ever purchase anything mechanical (camera or otherwise) from a thrift store, pawn shop, camera show, etc,, that I couldn't satisfy myself was fully functional before I bought it. If it "needs a battery", but doesn't have one, I have to pass. Usually, that's enough. Oh, there was that Zorki that worked fine at the show, but then exploded the next day at my house, but the seller should have told me ... :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wouldn't say a thrift shop is a type of gambling operation.

It just takes all sorts of people to make the world go round, that's all.
    I brake for fixer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    I wouldn't (and have not) ever purchase anything mechanical (camera or otherwise) from a thrift store, pawn shop, camera show, etc,, that I couldn't satisfy myself was fully functional before I bought it. If it "needs a battery", but doesn't have one, I have to pass. Usually, that's enough. :rolleyes:
    Excellent advice.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But now and again you come across nice people instead.
    This summer I bought a Nikkor 105/1.8 on a Swedish auction site. It was advertised in bold letters as BROKEN and the picture showed in three pieces.
    I know a good repairman so I decided to take a chance and got it for the equivelant of $80. I went to pick it up since the seller lived close to me.
    He gave me the lens in a bag, smiled and told me that if I could not get it together he would refund my money!
    I pointed out that I was fully aware that the lens wasn't working and that it was bought as a non functioning lens.
    We discussed this for a while and then I left him to go to the repairman.
    The repairman took a look at it and told me that he couldn't guarantee that it would be ok.
    I asked him to make a try and I would pay him for his efforts.
    When he gave me the receipt for the lens he explained that naturally it wouldn't cost anything if he didn't succeed..

Sometimes people are just nice.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin